Camerimage Festival - Lodz, Poland

Morgan Peline

Hi,

I though I would just put a heads up to anyone who has never heard of Camerimage Film Festival.

If you are cinematographer, you will love this festival! You absolutely have to go!

It's the bestest, funnest, greatest film festival in the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just got back from Lodz in Poland and have to say that if I am free I will go there every year from now on.

Great screenings of beautifully shot films. Seminars and interviews with top DPs who have films screening there. This year in seminar were Nancy Schreiber, Seamus McGarvey and Robby Muller. If a DP is there and his film is screening then the DP will usually give an an interview so this year, though I didn't attend all of them, there was Tom Stern for 'Flags of Our Fathers', Guillermo Navarro for 'Pan's Labyrinth', Dick Pope for 'The Illusionist' as well as Pawel Edelman for 'All the King's Men' and you can ask as manyt questions as you like or even ask them later if you see them in the venue. Jon Fauer was there and talked about shooting film, and at the last minute Panavison arranged for John Mathieson to talk about the ins and outs of shooting anamorphic, that was really good!

Where else in the world can you attend a lighting seminar held by Chris Doyle whilst sitting a few seats away from Januz Kaminski? Seriously, I couldn't believe how much talent was in that room!

Even Mike Figgis and David Lynch were there!

And that's only the top of the iceberg because there were dozens and dozens of other well known DPs in attendance everywhere. And you can talk to them in the bar or the disco if you want because everyone there is super friendly and the atmosphere is super relaxed (not like some of the more famous festivals elsewhere I heave heard). I found out that many top DPs attend every year if they are not busy because they get to see their friends because everyone loves going.

You you are a cameraperson you will seriously love this film festival!

Go, go, go! You will love it!!!

http://www.camerimage.pl/index.php?lang=en

Hi everyone.

I am from Barcelona and I went there for the first time in 2001, I think. unfortunatelly, I've only been able to make it once more, in 2004. But I will for sure go back there every year I can.

Great films, great screenings, great friendly environement, great food and, not to forget the Pub lodz Kaliska and the dance floor at hotel Centrum.

You can talk one to one to all the best DoPs in the world as well as to fellow cinematographers or film students (which is NOT less important).

Aside the fact that Lodz is one of the most unique cities I've ever seen...

It's easy to get there. I think there are regular flights from London to lodz and, if not, to Warsaw from any major city in Erope. From Warsaw you can easily make it to Lodz by bus or train (around 3hours, I think).

Hope to get back there next year.

sergi