previsualization software

Erkan Umut

Are there any previsualization software for lighting design (where you assign the lighting equipment, their densities, color and effect gels, exposure parameters, and their results on the subjects and cast in a 3D environment) specially made for cinematographers?

I mean the FreameForge-like tool for DoPs and Gaffers...

:rolleyes:

The one that I know a lot of pro lighting technicians use is called "WYSIWYG" (What You See Is What You Get).

It's expensive

I don't think it gives you any exposure perameters, other than the amount of light in footcandles. I'd only use it for a fancy way to show my gaffers & grips how the lighting is going to be, but otherwise if you're on an indie budget just stick with the ol' drafting tools.

The trick is simulating bounces, silks and general radiosity.... and that's quite a trick. I wouldn't expect anything useful for a long time. You'll spend more time rendering and rigging on the computer than just setting up a light on an empty sound stage.

I believe there are several light modeling programs that do a great job simulating the effects of bouncing light.