Can anyone identify this camera?

Patrick Barry

Here is a link to a photo on the set of Apocalypto. Can anyone identify what kind of camera this is?

http://www.imdb.com/gallery/ss/0472043/Ss/...?hint=tt0472043

Thanks.

Patrick Barry

http://www.imdb.com/gallery/ss/0472043/Ss/...ath_key=0472043

Above is another angle. Thanks.

Patrick

I don't know about the camera, but the camera operator sure looks a lot like Mel Gibson :blink: :blink: :blink:

Does this mean that PV had to scrub out the lens aperture with soap when they got it back? :P

Well... I don't know if they use soap, but they should at least swab down the eye cup with some isopropanol :lol: All kidding aside, you can get pink eye and other infections that way. It's a good argument for brining your own donuts to the set, and for the director to have their own view finder.... at least IMOVHO B)

Anyway, didn't they say this movie was going to be entirely shot with the Genesis? I saw an Arricam on a Steadicam in the behind the scenes featurette...

There was an article in the LA Times over the weekend about the "making of" which said that film was used for about 2% of the footage primarily for some slow motion shots because the Genesis couldn't go fast enough. Also talked about Mel Gibson teaching the cast how to run in slow motion, how cheap the extras were, etc.

• Premium Member
Hi Brad,

There seems to be a mid support to the matte bars on the far side. Never used a PV with a heavy zoom myself.

Stephen

Yeah, after looking at the higher res version of the picture it looks like the support is indeed attached. It was tough to see in the smaller picture.

• Premium Member
Is he really crazy enough to shoot at 30FPS (see high-res picture)?

I noticed the same thing, but it says "30FR", not "30fps", which is the standard way to denote the framerate, so maybe "30FR" means something else. Or maybe it does mean 30fps, but they could have been shooting slightly overcranked for that particular shot.