Super 8 optics

anton foy

I own 310 XL with wide angle Canon lens (C8 43 mm), still haven't shoot anything with it. about Canons, I own also 1014 XL-S (have shot many short films and it rocks) and Canon Scoopic DS8, both are really great cameras.

Here are couple examples of image quality of Canon Super 8 cameras:

Our lastest short film shot with Canon 1014 XL-S and Kodachrome 40, transfered by myself to digital with my Workprinter:

http://www.sorb-i-tol.com/THE_MYSTERY_OF_MISSING_SINK.MPG

Some test footage shot with Canon DS8, film stock Fomapan R100, transfered by myself to digital with my Workprinter:

http://www.sorb-i-tol.com/FOMAPAN_R_100_CANON_DS8.MPG

Part of this next one is shot with Canon DS8, part with Quarz DS8-M:

http://www.sorb-i-tol.com/foma_ds8_canon_quarz.MPG

Hello,

The Voigtlander-Zeiss Ikon Moviflex serie of super 8 cameras is really good because they have Carl Zeiss optic. Another good option in order to get all the potential from the format and the new emultions is to use the Beaulieu (original or Pro8 remanufacturized) + 35mm Zeiss lens with Century Adpater (that get converted to tele lens). Really interesting results, because you can control the diaf directly in the lens, and you don't deal with amateur (or semi-pro) automatic exposure issues.

Regards,

Daniel

Edited by Daniel Henriquez Ilic

I have to put in another plug for Beaulieu series of Cameras (not to detract from the Nikon and Canons). I have a 5008S, it is built like a tank, has amazing Schneider optics 6-70 zoom at f1.9 and lots frame speeds, a sweet zoom motor with adjustable speed, and a kick-ass auto iris - you can even get a sync speed regulator. Plus the lenses can be removed and others attached... which I think is a strong point. I even like it better than the 6008S and 7008S because there's a lot less electronics to break. I guess the only drawback is that it is pretty heavy and the finder is hard to get to... otherwise, I think it is one of the best Super 8's money can buy.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tomahawk
The Nikon Super Zoom 8 is a nifty little camera.

I have 4 of them, and it's a great value, but the R-10 lens is much, much better.

Matt Pacini

I'm the owner of a Nizo 4080 and without a manual. Any idea what the shutter degree is? Any info is much appreciated. Thanks.

Jeff

Guest tomahawk
Gosh, I don't know.

I know it's a lot like a 6080, but there are differences, and I just don't know what all those were.

Probably 200 degree, but again, I'm not positive.

Matt

Matt,

I think you're right. I was able to find out that at 18fps the shutter speed is 1/32 and the mathmatic equation suggests the angle would be 200 assuming this is true. I very much thank you.

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...
Guest John Adderley

I have found the Leicina with the Optivaron Zoom lens has the best picture quality of any super 8 cameras that I have used or heard of. The lens is made to Leitz specs and dedicated to the super 8 film picture size. The registration is the best I have experienced. It has many easily accessed features such as different speeds and timelapse facilities.

I have shot lots of film for BBCTV with Leicinas and may times I have had comments from the telecine graders saying they had not seen such high quality imges from super 8. Those commments and similar are from people who, as you could imagine, see a lot of super 8.

A friend of mine has a rig with 6 super 8 cameras shooting in a row They are the easiest cameras to work with for lining up the images. The arrangement of the eletronics allow for us to shoot timelapse in this mode with all the shutters synchronised and working with an external power supply. Even the apertures can be synchronously operated remotely.

For scientific work they are second to none because they have a Leica M mount. It can be set up on a microscope clicking away for days, getting superb timelapses with no problems.

The list of it's assets go on but the best thing is, it's great to work with it on a tripod in a drama situation.

www.adderley.net

• 2 years later...
  • Premium Member
The Canon 814 and 1014 XLS cameras are probably the best I've used as far as optical quality, and versatility. They were the last super8 cameras Canon made, so the lenses are fairly new compared to most others.......

Ryan

If sound film was still being made, I would agree with your comment that those two Canons are the most versatile. But since sound film is no longer available, many Nizo's, some Eumigs, Beaulieus and Leicinas are probably slightly more versatile than the canons. For these two Canon cameras to get the versatility label, they would need more than a 36 FPS top speed and also do time-exposure, which they do not.

However, when it comes to using a film stock like the 500T and the 200T, the Canon f-stop range of 1.4 to f 44 is extremely versatile, as is the XL and non XL shutter system. I guess the word versatility has a versatile range of meanings.

But as you say, in terms of quality the Canons XLS series are definitely on the top rung. The ability to properly handle the 500 ASA and 200 ASA negative stocks makes the Canon very versatile for classic filmmaking endeavors but slightly less versatile when it comes to shooting special effects.

Guest shutter bug

kodak has just released ektachrome in ds8 so the processing and cost per foot will be cheaper than carts by far,not to mention a way steadier image. pathe made a great ds8 camera and i read somewhere that a tobin sync motor ca be used on them