What's the correct format for the tape on a mag?

Y'know, like the piece of tape that annotates what stock, the name of the production, the mag #?

I haven't done it in a while and I don't have one in front of me. Does anyone have a picture maybe? I'll be loading this weekend for the first time in a while. I know it sounds silly, but I want the tape to be in the correct format. It's on 35mm with Panavision cameras, a Platinum I believe. Or a GII.

I don't think it's any kind of crazy stocks, it's only a commercial but this camera crew are like my heroes and I don't want to let them down. (The DP is the great Dan Mindel)

Any pointers or better yet jpegs of the actual tape would be MUCH appreciated!

Thanks.

Luke

I used to use colored tape (white 200T red 500T Blue 250D etc) with length loaded, Emulsion no., Batch No, Strip no. and Roll no.

Then I'd use the same system for the cans, this time with footage shot. At the end of the day I'd tape the cans together, with a copy of the camera reports inserted between them and a label with the Production Co. name, date and number of rolls being sent.

The UK system I've been working with is: Length, Can Type, Film Type, Emulsion and Cut numbers, Mag number, Roll number.

For example, 400' N/R 7218 058 122.01 (23.1) M2381 R#B43

This is usually placed over mag latches, unless doing so makes it exceedingly difficult to read (eg Aaton XTR). The can type is always N/R (new roll), S/E (short end), or R/C (re-can).

When the film is unloaded, the tape is taken off the mag and then placed over the black gaffer tape used to seal the can. Makes it easier to identify the cans even if they're all stacked up.

I am well aware that the US system may be different, however.

I was always taught to put 7 things on the mag labels, so that my labels looked somewhat like this:

400' (or whatever lengt) Emulsion number: (52xx-xxx-etc) Date:

"Title" (always in quotes) Mag: (the serial #) MP (your initials) CR: (the camera roll number)

This is the minimum amount that the mag tape should have. Some people put more, like the production company or the amount exposed- I leave those for the camera report. But this is the minimum amount of information that is acceptable. Exposed film always gets black, and and recans and short ends always get white, unless you are using multiple stocks, in which case the recans and short ends get whatever color you have assigned that particular stock. Tungsten film is usually red- in the event you have more than 1 tungsten stock, the high speed is normally the red one. Daylight films get blue normally. Other than that, you can assign the colors as you will, but it helps to keep a basic color scheme for the tungsten and the daylight- don't give tungsten film green because that is more of a daylight color. Give it yellow or orange. The blues and greens are more for daylight film.

I always box up the cans for the film break. If it is being flown, make sure you pack it with bubble wrap or paper so that the cans will not dent- I sometimes even use the cardboard holders that the 400' cans come in. I label the box "Do Not Xray" and with a piece of tape on top, put "Exposed Film, the production company, the title, the date, and the production phone number." Then I seal it with packing tape- make sure the box is closed well if its going by air. If it's being driven, you can seal it with gaff or something not quite as heavy duty as packing tape, but make it look nice, and make sure it's sturdy.

Most importantly- have fun! Daniel Mindel man, thats quite a job! Congratulations-