Best Super 8 for filming with sync sound

davidhughens

The Nizo 6080 has a wonderful reputatin for being very quiet, though I reckon most high end Sync Sound cameras are very quiet, I suppose a lot of it is down to lubrication.

Just got my near mint 6080, empty it's very quiet, with the cardridge in it's noisy, it's more the cardridge and the film that does the noise not the camera-mechanics. Haven't done sync-tests yet, but some stuff with another 6080 was sync at 25fps. I'll post some tests as soon as possible....

cheers, Bernhard

• Premium Member
Just got my near mint 6080.........Haven't done sync-tests yet, but some stuff with another 6080 was sync at 25fps. I'll post some tests as soon as possible....

I've got a Nizo 4080/6080 service manual that was used at a Nizo service station. In it are some handwritten notes on a 24 or 25fps crystal sync conversion. It uses oddball crystal frequencies that would be expensive to have manufactured. I'm working on modifying the design to use easier to obtain crystals like the 105MHz crystal modules I just bought off eBay. 105MHz scales nicely for 24fps. Running at 25fps would be a matter of using a slightly different crystal frequency. The camera side of the modification is pretty simple and it should be possible to package the crystal sync unit as a small outboard module that plugs into the Nizo, possibly using the original mike input since almost no one's going to be using it unless they're buying aftermarket sound film.

I'm going to eventually modify my personal camera. I'm not a camera technician so I'm a little reluctant to wade into someone else's camera but if there's enough interest I'll make up the electronics for DIY'ers. I'll guess about $200 each would be the cost for three or four that used my eBay 24fps 105MHz crystal modules. I'll have to do some research on frequencies to see what's readily available and not too expensive to produce 25Hz for running at 25fps.

I have a Beaulieu 5008s that has been crystal sync modified by The Film Group. I also have a barney for the camera, original camera case, 2 batteries (one of them that is a bit larger than the standard battery; it clips to your belt) 2 battery chargers, and about a dozen lens filters.

If youre interested let me know -- Ive been thinking of selling for a while now.

One problem, it may be huge or not, the pulse indicator on the crystal sync unit does not flash. I dont know if this means that its just the bulb, or if there is an actual problem with the sync. Im sure The Film Group folks could fix it. I would adjust the price due to this.

Edited by Keneu

I have a Beaulieu 5008s that has been crystal sync modified by The Film Group. I also have a barney for the camera, original camera case, 2 batteries (one of them that is a bit larger than the standard battery; it clips to your belt) 2 battery chargers, and about a dozen lens filters.

If youre interested let me know -- Ive been thinking of selling for a while now.

One problem, it may be huge or not, the pulse indicator on the crystal sync unit does not flash. I dont know if this means that its just the bulb, or if there is an actual problem with the sync. Im sure The Film Group folks could fix it. I would adjust the price due to this.

Sure, I'm interested. Let me know how much you are asking and send me some pictures! I'd love to see it. Thanks!

• 2 years later...
I've got a Nizo 4080/6080 service manual that was used at a Nizo service station. In it are some handwritten notes on a 24 or 25fps crystal sync conversion. It uses oddball crystal frequencies that would be expensive to have manufactured. I'm working on modifying the design to use easier to obtain crystals like the 105MHz crystal modules I just bought off eBay. 105MHz scales nicely for 24fps. Running at 25fps would be a matter of using a slightly different crystal frequency. The camera side of the modification is pretty simple and it should be possible to package the crystal sync unit as a small outboard module that plugs into the Nizo, possibly using the original mike input since almost no one's going to be using it unless they're buying aftermarket sound film.

I'm going to eventually modify my personal camera. I'm not a camera technician so I'm a little reluctant to wade into someone else's camera but if there's enough interest I'll make up the electronics for DIY'ers. I'll guess about $200 each would be the cost for three or four that used my eBay 24fps 105MHz crystal modules. I'll have to do some research on frequencies to see what's readily available and not too expensive to produce 25Hz for running at 25fps.

Hi

I realize this is 3 years after you made this post but did you ever make any of these crystal sync kits for the Nizo 4080/6080 ?

Hi

I realize this is 3 years after you made this post but did you ever make any of these crystal sync kits for the Nizo 4080/6080 ?

i have a tiny crystal sync unit..for a nizo 6080.it is hot wired onto the camera 25fps sync.

the camera has developed a fault but i know the crystal is perfect.

the box is a little bigger than a dice and has a flickering led on it.

Hello,

As far as I know, "The Film Group" company can make modification to some Nizo cameras, so that they can have their motor controlled by cristal sync at 24fps (or 25fps as you specify when requesting the modification)

This is how the company is described on www.mandy.com

"Design and repair of accessories to enable sync-sound shooting with film cameras. These include our Micro Resolver, Blooper Slating unit, Camera Crystals, Digital-to-Pilotone."

and the contact info that appears on that website is : telephone (1 860) 529-1877 USA Connecticut

Also here is an announce in Ireland (Jan 2009) concerning a Nizo with 25fps cristal sync.

http://www.creativeireland.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23677

Good luck.

Daniel

Hello,

As far as I know, "The Film Group" company can make modification to some Nizo cameras, so that they can have their motor controlled by cristal sync at 24fps (or 25fps as you specify when requesting the modification)

This is how the company is described on www.mandy.com

"Design and repair of accessories to enable sync-sound shooting with film cameras. These include our Micro Resolver, Blooper Slating unit, Camera Crystals, Digital-to-Pilotone."

and the contact info that appears on that website is : telephone (1 860) 529-1877 USA Connecticut

Also here is an announce in Ireland (Jan 2009) concerning a Nizo with 25fps cristal sync.

http://www.creativeireland.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23677

Good luck.

Daniel

Thanks for the info Aaniel i pm'd Alan about the 25fps crystal.

I've heard that there can be problems with the 6080 when you try to crystal sync it.

Personally, I'd stay far away from the insides of that camera. It's pretty flimsy, and very susceptible to short circuits unless handled delicately by someone who knows what they are doing, and is German, too (jk).

For instance, keep it away from static electricity. I just wouldn't mess with it. I mean, does anyone really need to crystal sync an 8mm camera? Why not just shoot wild and post-sync later?-- it's so easy to do these days.