Digital latitude tests

Stephen Williams

• 2 weeks later...
Graeme,

Your test shows a larger range from your camera, using the same test do you think that a 950 or viper would yield a larger range and therefor consequently would you expect the d20 to have further stops of range than the red? basically do you think red is the only camera that was short changed on the cml test? and on a side note thats relevelent to me currently do you know when you'll be updating your final touch plugs for universal?

cheers,

keith

Be going universal on the plugins in the new year.

Given that the D20 is a 12bit A-to-D, it's curve appeared almost correct for what I'd expect. It appeared to have a little more range than I'd expect from it, but it looked reasonable. I don't think our new test is biassed towards RED, more than biassed away from potential sources of error. It will be interesting to run some more cameras through it, but we'll have the same issues that Geoff has that video cameras don't come set for best dynamic range out of the bag.

Graeme

• Premium Member
Be going universal on the plugins in the new year.

Given that the D20 is a 12bit A-to-D, it's curve appeared almost correct for what I'd expect. It appeared to have a little more range than I'd expect from it, but it looked reasonable. I don't think our new test is biassed towards RED, more than biassed away from potential sources of error. It will be interesting to run some more cameras through it, but we'll have the same issues that Geoff has that video cameras don't come set for best dynamic range out of the bag.

Graeme

Graeme,

Your real test:-

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=81188

Why is the vertical line on the left, indicating the dynamic range placed where it is? I can see why the one on the right is where it is!

I am not saying there is anything wrong with the Red sensor.

Stephen patiently waiting to be 788th tester of a Red camera Williams

because of the varied response curves and noise levels of the various CCDs of the different cameras, i feel like graphs can be a little misleading.

i would really like to see someone take all the relevant HD cameras and shoot two or three different setups with varied lighting and subject (including a macbeth chart), and include specified spot meter readings from numerous points in the image... and then make the frames available for download in the particular camera's "purest" form possible (ie. RAW, HDCAM SR 4:4:4, etc.). it'd also be nice if stocks 5217, 5218 and 5299 were also included and flat transferred at 1080 or 2k from a spirit.

Edited by Jaan Shenberger