first time telecine, problem with tape format

Richardson Leao

Hi all,

I finally have done 16mm telecine my first time. Due to my ignorance, i asked the video house to record DVcam format in my miniDV tapes as I was sure that it would play in a normal minidv camera (the ones grandmothers have). To my deception, they don't. So, just to do a simple edition for previewing it, what should I do that would make sense economically? find somewhere to copy it to other miniDV with miniDV format or a hard drive? Rent a deck? Many thanks

• Premium Member

[ find somewhere to copy it to other miniDV with miniDV format or a hard drive? Rent a deck? Many thanks

You are far better off having a professional Post house capture your DV tape to the file format you want to work with. In fact you should have had the Xfer to hard drive. The days of video tape are numbered.

The cost of a firewire drive will be the same or less then the cost of a deck rental. Have the post house capture in less then 8 gig chunks so you can back up on DVD-ram

Hi all,

I finally have done 16mm telecine my first time. Due to my ignorance, i asked the video house to record DVcam format in my miniDV tapes as I was sure that it would play in a normal minidv camera (the ones grandmothers have).

I had something similar happen when I had a friend at a local TV station make a DV tape copy of my Student film, thinking I could then transfer to my home computer with any cheapo $250 DV camera. Turns out it was recorded in DVC-Pro50, and it would only play at half speed and no sound. I figured out I could play the tape with higher end prosumer cameras like a Panasonic DVX100a. So maybe you could try to borrow a camera from a filmmaking friend?

Edited by Steve Zimmerman

If you go the camcorder route you should find a Sony DVCAM prosumer camera: a PD-150, like they shoot weddings on (or David Lynch features :P ) or similar. I guess DVX100's can play DVCAM, but there are dropouts. Best to stay with the same brand in this case. Maybe this will help.

Steve Z.

• Premium Member
Hi all,

I finally have done 16mm telecine my first time. Due to my ignorance, i asked the video house to record DVcam format in my miniDV tapes as I was sure that it would play in a normal minidv camera (the ones grandmothers have). To my deception, they don't. So, just to do a simple edition for previewing it, what should I do that would make sense economically? find somewhere to copy it to other miniDV with miniDV format or a hard drive? Rent a deck? Many thanks

Hi,

A Sony miniDV camera will almost certanly play the DVcam recorded tape.

Stephen

Addendum to stephens post: a sony Prosumer camera will...their handycams won't playback dvcam. The new HDVs will, the PD-150/170 will (and you can rent those cheap) If its short try and call a TV station or a rental house and try and get a buddy-buddy deal with them, you might be able to do it cheaply if you bring your laptop in to capture it to.

• Premium Member
Addendum to stephens post: a sony Prosumer camera will...their handycams won't playback dvcam. The new HDVs will, the PD-150/170 will (and you can rent those cheap) If its short try and call a TV station or a rental house and try and get a buddy-buddy deal with them, you might be able to do it cheaply if you bring your laptop in to capture it to.

Michael,

Sony handycams used to, I have a very cheap 3 year old one that I use just for that.

Stephen

Really? I had no idea some of the handycams could do that. My buddy had one (forget the model #) and it didn't work on that one. I know most of their semi-pro camera lines will, all their pro lines will, and just about any sony deck meant to play DV25 will play DVCAM. Very interesting since I will be getting my telecine on DVCAM.....any minute now....still waiting....man I should have never said 'put my film on an lower priority for a better rate' at this point I want to pay weekend and holiday rates just to see my footage!