Edison/Stinger...?

Jonathan Bowerbank

A friend of mine and I were having a childish debate a couple months ago regarding the proper verbage for an extension cord. It was uninvitedly brought up again last night, so I wanted to open it up to a forum of people who know with a surety.

The general nickname for an extension cord is "Stinger", correct?

He maintains that an extension cord, regardless of its plug, can also be called an "Edison", which makes no logical sense to me.

I can understand if you refer to an extension cord with an Edison plug as an "Edison", if you need to specify what type of plug the cord should have.

But is "Edison" ever a generic term for extension cords in general?

In my limited experience no, I have never heard a stinger called an edison. I have heard of stingers with edisons, but I have only heard edison used in connection to the plug. Stinger would be the cord itself.

Anyone with more experience than I might have a different take on it.

A friend of mine and I were having a childish debate a couple months ago regarding the proper verbage for an extension cord. It was uninvitedly brought up again last night, so I wanted to open it up to a forum of people who know with a surety.

The general nickname for an extension cord is "Stinger", correct?

He maintains that an extension cord, regardless of its plug, can also be called an "Edison", which makes no logical sense to me.

I can understand if you refer to an extension cord with an Edison plug as an "Edison", if you need to specify what type of plug the cord should have.

But is "Edison" ever a generic term for extension cords in general?

I've heard gaffers and carpenters refer to a stinger as a short electrict cord that is one male plug splitting into 3 or 4 or however many female outlets.

chuck

On US films sets, a 12/3 extension is basically refered to as a "stinger" in both the union and non union worlds. In the New York union, it is refered to as a "single" extension, but if someone where to ask for a "stinger" it would be understood. New York non union refers to them as "stinger" as well.

Referring to them as edison would be understandable but not widely used. Refering to a plug as a hubble would be more widely known, But you may have to be a little more specific as Hubble, the company, makes all sorts of connectors.

Best

Tim

• 2 weeks later...