Konvas 2M, PL mount off Ebay

Mike Rufail

So I just went for it an purchased my first 35mm camera off ebay. It is a Konvas 2m converted to PL mount. Barring any setbacks from ebay's deadbeat sellers and fraudulent users, I will be shooting tests with this camera in about 2 weeks. I will be sure to post screengrabs and even some test footage in h.264 for those of you who reply to this post or show any interest. I want to know what you guys think first hand of the purchase. I have experience using arriflex camera systems mainly. I know a little of what to expect from this camera. I know the threading may be a little tough to learn, but what else should I know before I proceed? Anyway, take a look at the auction page and tell me what you think. Click Here For Auction Page.

Thanks,

mike

So I just went for it an purchased my first 35mm camera off ebay. It is a Konvas 2m converted to PL mount.

mike

If you will have technical questions or problme, can ask me, I'm camera technician, specialized in repair, service, modify or russian cine cameras Konvas, Kinor and other.

If you will need upgrade of electrical motor on multi speed or other speeds or with speed synthesizer, you can ask me too.

The first step with camera must be a full clean and re-lube.

The old topics had information about base points of re-lube of Konvas.

If you need know this, I can send pictires.

this is actually a 1M converted. I find that out after the auction closing, but not a problem. I am having a hard time deciding where to service this camera and the 5 of the 7 mags that came with it. I talked to the guys at Slowmotion (they did the conversion) who said that this would take 2-4 hrs of labor at $95/hr. does anyone else service konvas cameras? *in the states?

Olex, I am looking for a motor that can handle higher speeds, a matte box and support that will fit a converted 1M. let me know where i can find those items. thanks.

mike

Edited by Mike Rufail

Ahhhh, that was my old "1M" I sold it to that guy about a year ago.

It is not a 2M, it is a 1M converted to PL mount. The front of a 2M is totally different.

I can vouch that this is the best 1M to PL mount camera on the planet, so you made a good choice in that regard. I bought the motor new and shot only about a 1000 feet with it. Registration was always excellent with that camera using the 200ft mags.

Now there is an issue with that PL mount conversion and it's a good thing you made this post and that I saw it. The mount is a little too close to the mirror to accept any PL mount lens. Many lenses will rest on the glass and stop the mirror from spinning, if you start the motor before you do a frame advance by hand you'll wreck the camera for sure.

This is only an issue with wide angle lenses, long lenses are fine. So here's what you do, you need to go by a rental house and check each PL mount lens one at a time. Make note of the serial numbers of the lenses that allow the mirror to spin. Basically you want the "old style" PL mount, they usually work fine.

I did this at my rental house and I found 10+ lenses that worked.

In any event if you get tired of my camera e-mail me first, I may want to buy it back.

R,

what a coincidence. i've read many of your posts on the konvas cameras richard. i am aware of the lense/shutter issue as your guy ed made clear right away. so cooke s4s and zeiss superspeed primes need to be checked as well? as for my choice, it was a very calculated move on my part. only because i've been hunting for a PL 1M or 2M on ebay furiously over the past 2 months. only fate is to be credited with me being able to snipe this one off. I don't think it was up for more than 2 hours before I used "buy it now". do you still have any gear for it?

mike

The mount work is excellent done by Slowmotion in LA, no one does better work on these cameras than they do. I think you could fix the mount issue, all it needs is a spacer between the body the mount, then screw it back on. A super thin piece of cork would work, use the mount as a template, and a good exacto knife to cut the template.

I think the focus would tolerate this slight move forward of the mount, it's really only off by a tiny fraction, like maybe 1mm. Then you could accept any lens.

Add the template then do a focus test with a focus chart or sharp thin lines at a close distance. If it works you'll be home free. Or call Slowmotion and tell them you have one of their conversion jobs and ask them to adjust the mount, I'm sure they'll do it for free or very little.

Check every new lens just to be sure no matter what.

There should also be spare fuses for the motor in the camera bag, I put them in the top flap.

R,

The mount work is excellent done by Slowmotion in LA, no one does better work on these cameras than they do. I think you could fix the mount issue, all it needs is a spacer between the body the mount, then screw it back on. A super thin piece of cork would work, use the mount as a template, and a good exacto knife to cut the template.

I think the focus would tolerate this slight move forward of the mount, it's really only off by a tiny fraction, like maybe 1mm. Then you could accept any lens.

Add the template then do a focus test with a focus chart or sharp thin lines at a close distance. If it works you'll be home free. Or call Slowmotion and tell them you have one of their conversion jobs and ask them to adjust the mount, I'm sure they'll do it for free or very little.

Check every new lens just to be sure no matter what.

There should also be spare fuses for the motor in the camera bag, I put them in the top flap.

R,

If you move the camera flange forward 1mm ( .03937" ) you can kiss reaching infinity focus goodby on any properally collimated lens. An if your using the footage scales on the lenses to follow focus you are going to blow your splits, especially with faster stops.

Chuck http://www.cinematography.com/forum2004/st...icons/icon9.gif

If you move the camera flange forward 1mm ( .03937" ) you can kiss reaching infinity focus goodby on any properally collimated lens. An if your using the footage scales on the lenses to follow focus you are going to blow your splits, especially with faster stops.

It is what it is. I think for the sake of this camera I will just have to deal with that issue. There's no good reason to risk the accuracy of all the working components to solve this problem in this case. I am sure I will find many lenses that will accomodate. However, I do need to gain some insight into testing the shutter clearance by manually advancing a single frame. How would I go about testing each lens. Also Richard, it is my understanding that PL zooms will not create any problems with the shutter clearance. Am I correct? Again, all help is appreciated and I'll make sure the chart tests are available for you guys to view. I will also post the first bits of footage after the camera is lubed and serviced. Thanks again.

Mike

Well I don't need to see any test footage :)

To test the shutter clearance install the lens, then push up on the white wheel under the motor and rotate toward you. If the wheel turns freely you're ok, if it won't move, you need a different lens.

R,