Bolex 16mm camera - I need your opinion on my lenses

Joey Dee

Hello everyone :)

Ok so here's my question - I have a Bolex 16mm camera with 3 kern-pallard lense.

10mm (ultra wide)

25mm

75mm

I thought when i got the 75mm lense that I would be able to get a extreme close up as I will be filming the intimenancy of my character. I wanted to get a extreme close up on the eyes, lips, the issue is with the 75mm it only focuses on 5ft away therefor I can't single out a specific part of my characters face and the 100mm only focuses @ 8ft thats' why I didnt get it.

However the 25mm focuses @ 1 feet away and is not as bad as I thought...

SO my other question is - with the lenses I got do you think they would fit this scene view the images as I have ruined a suite to shoot my short film - I also got a lighting kit with gels covers, I have 2 1000's and 2 650's I am old the bolex needs alot of lighting to get a nice quality shot. I am just wondering what is your take on the bolex and if im on the right path with my equipement.

na1083gr9_md.jpg

na1083gr13_md.jpg

na1083gr14_md.jpg

Please reply as I am curious for your comments.

my best,

Joey Dee

the newer Switar range of 26mm and 75mm lenses have an extended macro range - hire one ?

There are always extension tubes to buy, hire or to have turned by your prefered machinist...

If you are using a bayonet mount bolex with a c-mount adaptor you can flip it round the wrong way, instant extension tube ...

Most macro I do is with the PTL zoom, by turning the aspheron nob to the aspheron position you are actually just altering the back focus, again... instant macro, you get odd focus problems when zooming however, but it sounds like you dont need to zoom - maybe hire a PTL or other 12.5-100 zoom with the aspheron knob ?

Edited by Nick Mulder

You could get some step rings for either the 25mm (37mm lens thread) or 75mm (don't know what thread that would be), and then use some standard photographic close-up lenses. You can probably get a set in 49mm off Ebay for $15-$20.

Edited by Sir Alvin Ecarma

Hey Folks,

Thanks alot for the help... I did a typo in my post, i said that "I ruined a suite to shoot" what i meant to say was "I rented a suite to shoot my short film" so sorry for the confusion.

Ok now all the equipement that I got is rented and i shoot on sunday - so with your experience as DP & Cinematographers what do you suggest with the lenses that I have to get extreme close ups and how much lighting would u suggest because I know Bolex camera need alot of lighting (or atleast thats' what I was told).

Here are the Kern lenses that I have - I pretty much played with the settings all day and I got my own settings but I would like to hear your expert advice (it's always good to learn from others). Also I dont' know why the view finder on the Bolex is soo hard to see even when i adjust the view finder focus, I spoken to other people and they have told me Bolex is like that because it's an old camera. Also for a nice d.o.f I would light the background softly? and focus on my character in the foreground while the background is out of focus right?

10mm lense

object_10_g.jpg

25mm lense

KernSwitar25mmT1.jpg

75mm lense

object_75_g.jpg

You can see info on the lense @ the last part of this page: http://www.bolex.ch/NEW/?p=3

my best,

Joey Dee

Edited by Joey Dee

that is the 75mm macro ! distinguished by the preset aperture levers...

keep turning the focus knob right around - you'll see an orange ring appear... i think it can focus down to around 6"

when the orange band is visible you are in the macro zone and the focus markings are redundant, just go with what you see in the finder

Edited by Nick Mulder

Thanks alot fellas for your help!

Just a question has anyone shot with these lenses before? I just wish the place where I rented the camera equipement had different lenses but Im not sure if Nikon lenses would of fit this camera.

Thanks again,

Joey Dee

I know I blab on about arcane bits of knowledge, but the answers to your questions are already here...

Yes I have shot with those lenses and particularly the 75mm MACRO and 10mm you have there are the best lenses in those focal lengths you can put on a Bolex (which is not to say they are for the rest of the 16mm cams out there, but I wont bore you with prism details)