Techniscope and 3 Perf & ARRI BLIMP

James Visiano

I am not an expert in motor repair but I wouldn't be surprised if you could get a comparable part for less than $100 at some motor supply store - if something exists that fits what you have - and do it yourself. Camera repair is once place where you can save yourself a fortune in if you can fix something yourself.

I have a IIc but decided against getting a blimp (well, my wallet made part of that decision ;)). I'm post dubbing what I shoot ( http://www.geocities.com/gselinsky/nonsync.html )

- G.

Edited by GeorgeSelinsky

Guest Sammi&torontofilm

Hey guys,i am looking for blimp for ARRIFLEX 35 2B ,if you have any 120 or CINE 60 for sell ,please send me a email : sammic_590@hotmail.com

DSCN2512.jpg

DSCN2513.jpg

Pictures of the flat base motor.

DSCN2519.jpg

The strange cigar-shaped object which accompanied the motor.

DSCN2521.jpg

When plugged in, it seems to emit a high pitch until the motor achieves sync speed.

DSCN2524.jpg

The inner workings of the motor, the deteriorated belt went from the gear on the upper left to the lower right.

I've found a source for synchronous belts. www. grainger.com, but it's difficult to find the correct pitch measurements. Thanks for the tip on Visual Products, I've bought from them before- I'm going to get a quote on the cost of the belt.

• 4 weeks later...

Tellef-

Thanks for referring me to Visual Products to get a replacement belt for the Cinema Products flatbase motor. They actually referred me to Derek Whitehouse at Whitehouse AV (http://www.whitehouseav.com) who told me that he used to work for Cinema Products and got this request so often that he ordered a whole bunch of belts for both the CP flatbase with the built-in sync motor and for the later version, which is the CP flatbase which the motors mount to.

I'm sure I could have ordered the correct belt from a company like Grainger but finding the right diameter, or more so finding the correct pitch of the teeth was going to be difficult.

-Webster

Webster -

Glad you made progress on restoring the flatbase. Neat to hear that yours is the

first version of the Cinema Products flatbase.

I've put some information up on my new site about blimps -- in particular the Cine 60

blimp, as this topic seems pretty popular here... there are pictures and as much

information that I can think of regarding how the rig works.

http://www.tellefjohnson.com/cine60.htm

Tellef

As a matter of interest, here's an article I came across from Ron Dexter's excellent webpage, on blimps:

http://www.rondexter.com/professional/equi...bout_blimps.htm

I would most likely not use an S120 blimp (unless I got one for free), the Cine 60 looks far more reasonable to use, I'd gladly dump a parka on it to keep it quiet indoors (heck, we'd have to put sound blankets on the CP 16's sometimes). I've been wanting to find out about it for the longest time but no luck, that webpage was of great help.

I keep wondering if it would be better to make my own blimp. There may be some more advanced soundproofing materials available these days (I wish I knew what they were), which would make a blimp more lightweight and portable.

- G.

Also interesting is this manufacturer, who sells sound proofing devices:

http://www.mcmaster.com/

Since the site uses frames I can't give specific links, but scroll down to where it says "Raw Materials and Springs" - there you will find sound absorbing materials amidst the items listed (Sound Absorbers).

- G

Edited by GeorgeSelinsky

George -

This might be of interest to you (and if there are two similar posts from me about this sorry, I screwed up).

1)I saw an Arri SR eyepiece extension on Ebay. The owner says it can work with a IIC. Is this true? I don't know the SR that well. In that case you'd be able to use an SR extension as an eyepiece extension for a blimp -- the original Cine 60 eyepiece extension is almost impossible to find. The SR extensions are not that cheap, but seem to be readily available, and maybe one could even borrow one.

2)I think it might be better rebuilding an existing blimp than fashioning a housing from nothing (no matter how effortless R. Dexter makes it seem). I have an extra Cine 60 blimp that needs MAJOR, MAJOR work. But, you'd have more than something to begin with, and if those folks at Cine 60 in 1970 could fashion decent sound proofing materials, then one could at least begin with that when engaging in restoration work of a blimp.

Tellef

• 4 weeks later...
Hey guys,i am looking for blimp for ARRIFLEX 35 2B ,if you have any 120 or CINE 60 for sell ,please send me a email : sammic_590@hotmail.com

Hi

I have a 120 for sale. I paid $800 a few years ago and successfully used it to shoot a spot before the flatbed motor (which I had purchased seperately, new old stock) died, seized up.

Blip comes with big matte box, eyepiece, follow-focus marking strips.

My plan was to retrofit a CE crystal motor, which I think will fit inside.

Willing to sell it for US800 (plus shipping) and will throw in the burnt-out motor, which might be repairable.

I also have a vintage Worral gear head, tilt riser, and set of Mitchell base wooden sticks, highhat etc for sale; 1200 for the support package. The 2C in the blimp glides around on this head like it's weightless!

If you are interested I'll take some pix. I'm in the DC and Virginia Beach areas.

MJ Vilardi