light meter

Daniel Carruthers

Hi Daniel,

I don't have any experience with the Gossen Digipro F, though I used to work in a rental department and worked with what appear to be similar Gossen meters based on this one's specs.

I try not to be brand partial but I've personally had better impressions of Sekonic light meters. They sell a unit called the L-358 that's a great budget/midrange meter. B&H has it for $239 right now. I don't know if it has all of the features that you need, but the major features should at least be comparable to the Gossen. In my opinion it's worth a look and some research on the Sekonic site before you make the purchase.

Hope that helps!

anyone know??

If it is your first meter, go for it. I've never used it. I did just read about it. It will do the basics one needs to measure light for proper exposer of motion picture film. In my experience most of us use the Spetra Digital IV A check it out

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller...;Q=&ci=4540

• Premium Member

I agree with Aaron. I have been using the Spectra Cine Pro IV A for about 2 years now as my incident meter and I absolutely love it.

If you need a spotmeter, I'd recommend the Minolta Spotmeter F, if you can get your hands on one since they are not made anymore.

• Premium Member

A Spectra 4 is a decent lightmeter and they back their product well. It will not break your bank

account. It is not the answer to all lighting issues. I would stay away from used meters unless

you know where they came from and request try-out before buying. Many famous cinematogra-

phers have used Spectra meters at one time or another. Meters are sort of like blondes,brunettes,

red heads and I will not go into a major discussion. I think you probably know what I mean. I wish

you luck in finding a meter to serve you well. Happy New Year!

Greg Gross

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Any major difference between the Spectra IV and IV-A, besides the averaging feature?

I may have just scored a good deal on an IV :)

It will calculate contrast ratios as well as averages. I believe that other than that it is the same exact meter.