Budget Soung Recording

Evan Cox

What do all of you think about using, say, an 8-track digital recorder that is supposed to be for musicians, as a way to record dialogue? Couldn't I just plug in the mics and then upload it onto my computer? Or are there more difficult problems that I'm not thinking about?

Also, what is the best, cheap sound editing program (software)?

Any help is . . . helpful.

thanks.

What do all of you think about using, say, an 8-track digital recorder that is supposed to be for musicians, as a way to record dialogue? Couldn't I just plug in the mics and then upload it onto my computer? Or are there more difficult problems that I'm not thinking about?

Also, what is the best, cheap sound editing program (software)?

Any help is . . . helpful.

thanks.

What 8 track recorder is it? Aslong as it records at 44.1KHz 16bit stereo or over (it probably does), it should be fine. It's the microphone and pre-amp you have to worry about.

Bare in mind that microphones designed for musicians are very much different to broadcast mic's. Mainly in frequency and directional response.

Also check if the recorder has phantom power. Because condenser microphones won't work without it. Unless you get a seperate pre-amp. Which would boost the quality but, you're talking more money.

(you *will* need slates to synch the sound in post)

Edited by Daniel Ashley-Smith