Creating a Magical Look

Brandon McCormick

I'm working on a short film and I am going for that "Big Fish" magical kind of look.

I'm pretty good with color grading in post, so I'm choosing to go that route for most of it, but are there any shooting techniques I should think of while planning this out?

Magic hour techniques? Rays of light, magical dolly movements? Certain lights or filters that can help tweak reality?

I'm shooting with the CineAlta HDW-F900

Thanks for you thoughts!

Brandon

• Premium Member

That's pretty wide open to your imagination.

Personally, for a "happy" magical look, I would probably shoot for a very rich look with quite saturated color. Warm light, in general. I would shoot for lots of warm colors and try to keep cold colors to a minimum.

This is just my take, of course. A "magical" look is pretty much open to any interpretation you want.

• Premium Member
What about Lord of the Rings, magical forest type stuff?

I'm familiar with all the diffusion and warm colors, any other thoughts?

Brandon

Like what? I guess you could put "floaties" in the air (usually ground-up white feathers dumped from a crane with a wind machine blowing on them.) Aren't we getting into an area of personal interpretation, i.e. what is magical to you?

Ah, floaties, excellent. If done well, those are the little kinds of things I think look great.

Thanks!

http://www.apple.com/trailers/picturehouse...iler_large.html

I can't wait to see this movie, but it's a great example of what I'm looking for.

The stuff at that diner table is especially nice.

I get the shafts of light and stuff, I'm going for that bounce between really warm and really cold.