Tripod recommendations

Alain LeTourneau

Does anyone have experience (positive or negative) with the following tripods...

Cartoni F100 head with Al or CF sticks?

Libec LS-55 system?

Older Sachtler 4x4 with Al or CF sticks?

Miller 30 Series I or II head with wooden or Al sticks?

The Cartoni and Libec heads are rated at 22lbs (the Sachtler and Miller slightly more). I'm searching for something lightweight, as I carry my camera and tripod a great deal, but not so flimsy as to be useless.

I use an Aaton XTR and shoot with Zeiss primes and lightweight zooms (Angenieux 12-120; Cooke 9-50).

I am open to other suggestion, but obviously money is an issue or I would not be asking about the above

tripods.

I'm very curious about the Cartoni F100 head. I've heard people complain that these heads need service after a year of light duty. This surprises me, esp since Cartoni offers a five-year warranty on the head.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

-Alain

Guest Glenn Brady

Have you considered one of the old Miller 'F' or 'LP' fluid head tripods? Wood sticks make them relatively light and comfortable to handle in cold weather, and they're comparatively inexpensive - occasionally less than $100.00 on eBay. The heads need to be leak-free (repairs are expensive) and fitted with the tilt-lock brake (the drag adjustment alone isn't sufficient to hold a heavy camera).