Shooting at the Grammys

I've got an ongoing documentary with a client who is nominated for a Latin Grammy Award which will be held in L.A. Does anybody know what the policy is about shooting at the awards cerimony? I sense a huge oncoming restriction to do it. I'd like to get backstage footage. It's the punchline to the whole film. Any advice?

I wonder if we can use any of the program footage with releases? Probably purchasable.

Any of you left coasters up for drinks and lunch? I'll have dates in a couple of days.

• Premium Member

I would think one of the most important things for you to do would be to contact the producers of the show as soon as possible so that you have plenty of time to deal with whatever they need from you. Beyond that I can't be of much help since this isn't really my area of expertise.

• Premium Member

Hi,

I've shot documentary secondary to a couple of large music concerts in the UK (on both occasions because we were covering the country park that the concert happened in.) They were fine about shooting everything except the stage acts, for which they'd sold the rights to someone else. I even got to shoot from the bear pit, although they did attach a minder to me.

I suspect you may find that an event like this will be the same - you'll probably be able to get backstage and general rights but anything they've already sold will be verboten.

Phil