aaton 35III

zrszach

I watch that first season of Project Greenlight when it originally played on HBO a few years ago. I can't recall all of the details, but the Panavision cameras were plainly visible for many shots. First time I recall seeing the Aaton was the handheld shot of the stuntman firefighter jumping out of a burning house. But that was the B-camera for that shot and they noted how the A-camera (the Panavision) missed that moment. Certainly for the car rig day they used Panavision.

I use Panavision Hollywoods Aaton 35III's fairly frequently. It's a great camera, only times I've had trouble with the mags are when working with really green AC's. You get what you pay for?

I'm using one as the B camera on the feature I'm starting next week. Good AC's

It is a bit touchy with anamorphic, the series C primes don't all fit that well, the eyepiece hits part of the lens and the P.S. technic anamorphic eyepiece proved to be impossible for me to rent. Video tap is not too great either.

As far as I know there are no 3 perf 35III's on the rental market in the USA which is a shame. ICE film in london has at least 2 3 perf 35III cameras, but it's not really practical to fly one of those to into Hollywood for a shoot!

Matt Uhry

matt@fuzby.com

An amazing camera with some finicky loading, but worth the hassle for its outsanding hand-holdabiility. Also good for rigging in high angles. Brilliantly similar in design to the other aatons. Best as a B camera; if you need just one camera for a whole picture,the aaton may be too loud in some interiors. At checkout make sure to get a barney for it or you can make one out of neoprene in a pinch

bw