aaton 35III

zrszach

• Premium Member

Good little camera, only shot with it once. Very small and nimble, but the mag can be

a bit awkward to load until you get a hang of it. The good thing is that when you've finally

gotten a hang of it, they're instant change and are very quick to swap.

When I become a millionaire, that's the camera I'd like to own - it's so versatile: small, light,

nimble, silent and has a good, bright viewfiner. It fits every occasion.

• Premium Member

The mags are ok once you get used to them. The absolutely worst part is when you mis-load or mismount the magazine and inch it it makes this horrible, loud, attention drawing sound. The mags are diriven by magnets (ala the XTR) and if they don't set right WHRRRIRIRIIRIRIRIRIRRRRRRRR!!!!@#$(*

When I was first learning to load the 35-III mags here at Able I made that noise and everyone popped thier head in... "35-III mags eh?"

I cant imagine how excruciating that noise must be to a young loader on the shoot. S/He's mounting the mags as the entier crew waits. The tension mounts as the actors get antsy and want to make calls on thier cell phones... the AD's are just telling them it'll only be a moment more.... then WHIIIRirrrRRRRR...

*cringes* Like fingers on a chalkboard.

The mags are diriven by magnets (ala the XTR) and if they don't set right WHRRRIRIRIIRIRIRIRIRRRRRRRR!!!!@#$(*

Interesting way to write that SFX,I saw a National Geographic Explorer behind the scenes doc about the folks that shoot that show.They were showing one of the cinematographers working with gorillas with a 35 III.Bet he had a veteran loader on that shoot.

I too would love to have that camera as I shoot quite a bit ENG style,or at least that's what I've become acustomed to over the last 20 years.Many cinematographers don't like that camera because of that fact.To my knowledge it's the only 35mm cine camera that's built like that,am I correct in that asumption?

Marty

There is no comparible Arri at this moment, the 235 is in development but not a sound/blimped camera and basically for 200Ft mags.

The Moviecam SL is comparible and probably also a bit more reliable, but certainly not smaller and lighter.

Rob van Gelder

• 1 month later...

I'd call the Aaton 35-3 a silent camera for all but the absolute quietest environments. For exterior work it's easily quiet enough. For an intimate bedroom scene the putter is probably too loud.

Last year Aaton introduced an upgrade version of the camera's 3-perf version. Instead of an adapted 4-perf movement, this was redesigned from the ground up for efficiency and quiet operation. I'd use this camera for any shooting.

The Moviecam SL is supposed to be a "silent" lightweight camera, but unless it is perfectly tuned I usually find it is much noiser than the Aaton 35-3.

• Premium Member

Just shot with it this weekend in 3-perf and it was dead silent. Lovely cameras.

Just the simplest things: when you pop the mag on, it connects with the mag and tells the display how much film you've got in. On Arris you have to reset the counter and the mag doesn't "know"

how much is in it electronically.

The menus are also much more user friendly than Arris, with a simple knob to toggle thru the crystal speeds.

The only complaint I have is that the mags don't lock on perfectly unless you apply some force.

They jumped out and disconnected on quite many occasions when I hadn't popped them on with enough force.

• Premium Member
Just the simplest things: when you pop the mag on, it connects with the mag and tells the display how much film you've got in. On Arris you have to reset the counter and the mag doesn't "know"

Same as the aaton 16 and super 16 XTR

The only complaint I have is that the mags don't lock on perfectly unless you apply some force.

They jumped out and disconnected on quite many occasions when I hadn't popped them on with enough force.

Well, that's a problem !

Im not sure if this is a problem or not, And Since I know very little about 35mm, this may just be a stupid thing to post:

In Miramax's film "Stolen Summer". The whole film seemed to be "Grainy". Im not sure if this was the camera, or the film used?

Seeing as they shot the film with an Aaton 3....

• Premium Member

The camera can never make a film look grainy. Not even can lenses by the way, though an underexposed film will look grainy when time printed (and an lens that is not well tested can underexpose). I haven't seen this film, but the grainy look can come either from the stock, the way it was used (under exposition, very low contrast lighting on middle tons) or the print itself even though the original negative wasn't grainy at all.

The fact of blowing up 16 or super 16 (and even more super 8) or imaging from DV, DVCAM, DVCPRO will give a grainy look. Even digi beta or HD, can give a grainy look very easily if not well transfered or not well exposed.

• Premium Member
Im not sure if this is a problem or not, And Since I know very little about 35mm, this may just be a stupid thing to post:

In Miramax's film "Stolen Summer". The whole film seemed to be "Grainy". Im not sure if this was the camera, or the film used?

Seeing as they shot the film with an Aaton 3....

Graininess is affected by several factors:

1. Format size - smaller formats require more magnification, and therefore grains are larger on the screen

2. Film speed (EI) - faster films have larger grains

3. Underexposure - underexposure puts more information on the faster (grainer) components of the emulsion, and the prints/transfers will have less density in the shadow areas, making grain more visible.

Fortunately, great strides in emulsion technology have significantly improved the image structure (grain and sharpness) of modern film, such as the Kodak VISION2 Color Negative Films. Here is a discussion with Kodak film designer David Long:

http://www.kodak.com/country/US/en/motion/...s/v2/long.shtml

Just to clarify, "Stolen Summer" was mostly shot on Panavision cameras.  For handheld work the Aaton was used.

Really? My bad. I only seen Aaton 35's in the Project greenlight DVD's. I did'nt think Camera's had the ability make it grainy, But Im not very good @ Cinematography.