Panasonic AG DVX100B V any SONY HDV

Guest Robert G Andrews

• Premium Member
What would you spend your money on? one of these standard definition Panasonic's or a HDV Sony?

I'd wait for the Sony HDV that will do true 24P, if I needed to shoot HD, the Sony HVR-V1. Otherwise, I'd get the DVX100B or Canon XL2. Why are you posting this in the Classifieds and not under the Video forum?

Guest Robert G Andrews

I probably put this in the wrong section....

I was unclear whether or not to get a HDV (E.g. Sony HVR-V1E Professional 3-CMOS HDV Camcorder, 25p) or the DVX100B (standard def.). As I'm not really techy I naturally assumed that HDV was best and that was that, thus making standard def largely obselete.

Personally, I just needed a camera capable of producing excellent-quality reliable moving images and sound, whether standard def of HDV.

Guest Robert G Andrews

David: It's for playing back a real-life story that was shot on 300 miniDV tapes (1ccd, 3ccd, PAL, NTSC) from 1996-2004, for the reason of making video grabs (stills) and using those stills to make a massive story board; its also for (maybe) using the camera to do any additional filming; its for travel filming in general; also for general use, e.g. filming a scene before doing it on film.

Once the massive (video grab) story board was complete my aim was to score out the 'irrelevant grabs' and then write the story according to what actually happened in real-life MINUS what was uninteresting.

And then I'd choose how to represent that story, I mean, on what format, film or DV. Therefore I thought I should have a decent cam, which leads me to the crossroads that I am at......standard def or HDV....

I have said that I guess I needed a camera capable of producing excellent-quality reliable moving images and sound, whether standard def of HDV because that's how I see it.

David, you seem to be well-versed with pretty much everything, so I'd truly appreciate it if you'd let me know what you thought... ...if you can spare a moment that is....with thanks, robert, LondonFilmMan

• Premium Member

Sounds like you should just stick to a PAL DV camera if so much material has already been shot in PAL. Probably the PAL DVX100BE I guess.

Silly to buy a 24P HDV camcorder mainly to use a Mini-DV deck.

Or just get a cheap Mini-DV camera to use only as a deck, or get a Mini-DV/DVCAM VTR like a Sony DSR-11 for your editing room and get whatever camera you want for shooting.

Guest Robert G Andrews
Sounds like you should just stick to a PAL DV camera if so much material has already been shot in PAL. Probably the PAL DVX100BE I guess.

Silly to buy a 24P HDV camcorder mainly to use a Mini-DV deck.

Or just get a cheap Mini-DV camera to use only as a deck, or get a Mini-DV/DVCAM VTR like a Sony DSR-11 for your editing room and get whatever camera you want for shooting.

many thanks, I'll most probably go for the cam.