Undergrad Final Project (Trailer)

Owen Donovan

My friend's final project for his Undergraduate. a Throwback B&W Horror short. I co-wrote and DP'd. This is the first thing of any considerable length that I've DP'd. Could use any help w/ constructive criticism and your reactions to the piece .

This is only a temporary trailer. Should have different cut soon.

DVX100a RedRock M2, YouTube.

I'll bump it when I get a different place to host.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok. The good and the bad.

The Good:

Overall really nice framing and camera movement.

Lighting for Black and White is tricky when you've become occustomed to color.

The contrast is nice.

The film seems interesting.

The Bad:

The contrast could be cranked just a little in post, some of it gets a little muddy.

I'm not sure I have much of an idea as to what the film is actually about from what's presented in that trailer.

(This is the graphic designer in my) Wrong font choice and placement at the end. The Tempus Sans Serif doesn't fit the mood or era of the piece. Something you can try is to look at fonts used in noir pieces from the era. Your goal is to place the audience in the world and that font takes us out. The Coen bros. made an interesting choice in their font and style for marketing The Man Who Wasn't There, check out those posters to get a good idea.

Overall dude, I'd love to see the final film and think you did really good work. :D

Edited by Nicholas Jenkins

Hey guys,

Thanks for the feedback. I used Nikon primes 24, 35, 50, 85mm. The contrast issue so far has been a problem since I haven't been able to color correct on an NTSC calibrated monitor. I shot the movie overlit so as to preserve detail and try and fake some extra latitude but bringing it down to where I want in Final Cut is a pain. We'll have an actual website w/ a real trailer up sooner or later I'll keep it posted here.

Owen

I think you need to retouch this project, big time. you need more contrast, right know the picture looks pretty cheap, I don't mean to be rude or disrespectfull, but with all the stuff that you had to do your shoot, you need to do more justice to your project before showing it

Good Luck