pro8mm postage

jon lawrence

Does anyone know why the cost of postage to the UK is so high? It's $67 to post a $30 roll of film. Is it as much for postage in the US?

I know, it's so annoying, all the best stocks are sold there, and it costs so much to ship it here. One part of me is beginning to think this is all out of spite.

Can anyone shed some skin light on this...

Hi!

if youre looking for S8 stock i recomend to ask in widescreen centre.

http://www.widescreen-centre.co.uk/cine.php

bye!

Treegan

The Widescreen centre is ok but it doesn't offer the range of stock that pro8m does. Also I was thinking about investing in one of the deals which, with the current exchange rate, works out pretty good (4 rolls of film with processing and pro telecine for around £120). Besides, I haven't heard great things about the WC, I've emailed them and phoned them a few times and I get no reply - not the kind of customer service you want when you're considering spending hundreds of £.

I'm going to see if it's worth having the film sent to some family friends in the US, then having it sent here. Might save some money.

Guys,

Pro8mm must be sending it to you via Airmail or FedEx or UPS. In Canada, to mail a Package up to 0.5 KG to Great Britain (25cm x 25cm x 10cm) is only $7.60 Canadian Dollars! Up to 1 KG would be $12.60. Tell Pro8mm to mail it using land / ship mail.

Guys,

Pro8mm must be sending it to you via Airmail or FedEx or UPS. In Canada, to mail a Package up to 0.5 KG to Great Britain (25cm x 25cm x 10cm) is only $7.60 Canadian Dollars! Up to 1 KG would be $12.60. Tell Pro8mm to mail it using land / ship mail.

yeah man, i posted 2 rolls of svema s8 to the UK (from australia) and it costs ~9 dollars. i think they may be including some salty handling fee on that.

The Widescreen centre is ok but it doesn't offer the range of stock that pro8m does.

its true! i know. pro 8 is one of the most expensive places to buy film. they have good packs, stock-proces-telecine but theyre expensive too

try

bhphotovideo.com

http://www.8mmfilmstock.com/

if looking for b&W

black and white film fcatory in canada

bye!

Treegan

Guest G. Furber

If you are looking for Pro8mm stocks in Europe, Wittner now stocks just about the full range of Pro8 stocks. The postage cost from Germany to the UK is a fraction of the postage cost from the USA. That said they are non-process paid. It works out much cheaper than paying the astronomical Pro8 postage costs if you just want to try one or two and get processing from Andec in Berlin. That would total about ?35-?40 per roll.

However if you are buying large quantities, the postage cost from the US factored into a large film/processing/telecine package could actually be cheaper.

INCIDENTALLY I have ordered stocks from single8film.com which are in the same state as Pro8mm and they have sent 4 films to me by AIRMAIL at a cost of $8 total. I have asked Pro8 and they don't seem to have a satisfactory answer. It seems whoever they are shipping with is ripping them off, or else they are ripping off the customer.

Edited by G. Furber

It seems whoever they are shipping with is ripping them off, or else they are ripping off the customer.

A buisness like pro8mm will always know when they're being ripped off, the customer may not.

I say we bombard them with protest emails, who's with me?

Pro8mm use DHL for couriering things internationally. Yes, this is expensive. For one roll of film it makes no sense to send it via dhl. But that is what they are set up to do. It may sound funny but to pack something for post and walk it down to the post office as a one off would be time consuming for them. Their set up just doesn't work for small orders.

As for price, pro8mm are cheap, even for American standards (where all super 8 stuff is cheaper than anywhere else).

They charge US$30 for ANY stock and processing. That is virtually unbeatable in the US (asside from using Dwaynes for 64T).

Wittner will post by air mail, though German air mail seems to have a minimum weight bracket of 2kg ...

Nah, Pro8mm is very expensive with sketchy quality. For what Pro8 pays to make a roll, $30.00 is no bargain. Remember, when you buy their "new" bargain film you are really buying unused short ends that where converted to super 8 at minimal cost. There may be Xray damage or expired film in that "new" box. It's a huge gamble for saving a buck or two on stock/processing.

As for shipping from the US, there are other places that will take the time to walk to the post office to save you some money. Shipping one roll of film DHL is a ripoff and Pro8mm knows it! DHL is easy to do as well as profitable for a company of their size.

If you want to shoot neg, go with easily obtainable Kodak film. Your results will be better than anything Pro8 can deliver. Plus, it supports Kodak in their effort to continue to offer super 8 film.

Pro8mm's $67 is thievery. I checked out the US Postal Service Website, and the minimum cost for shipping a parcel to Great Britain would be $10.50. Unbelievably it would cost $14.75 to Canada next door! The USPS is more expensive than Canada Post, but a hell of a lot cheaper than Pro8mm.

Richard Tuohy

As for price, pro8mm are cheap, even for American standards (where all super 8 stuff is cheaper than anywhere else).

They charge US$30 for ANY stock and processing. That is virtually unbeatable in the US (asside from using Dwaynes for 64T).

Richard,

What did you pay for Kodachrome 40 in Australia? In Canada it was only $24 Canadian Dollars which included processing. $30 US Dollars from Pro8mm is not cheap. What would be best for Super 8mm users is Kodachrome 64. I wrote to Kimberly Snyder at Kodak last summer to suggest replacing E64T with K64. I would suggest that all Super 8mm users log onto www.kodak.com Contact below (Select "Super 8 Film" as the Product) to ask them to give us Kodachrome 64. This will be a better Stock than anything Pro8mm can offer. Kodak doesn't have to include processing with K64 which can be paid by users separately. Before the Swiss Lab closed last September, there was serious talk about Kodak receiving European Union subsidies to keep it open. Kodak should pursue this further simply for the needs of pro Photographers.

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/service/con...-path=8920/9051

Does anyone know why the cost of postage to the UK is so high? It's $67 to post a $30 roll of film. Is it as much for postage in the US?

Why don't you simply ask them to send it by the United States Postal Service instead of by DHL overnight courier?

I suspect their response will be either:

"We can do that, but we can't guarantee delivery" (which is perfectly reasonable)

or

"We can't do that." (which would be an irrational way to lose business, unless postal services have started to x-ray international packages)

Why don't you simply ask them to send it by the United States Postal Service instead of by DHL overnight courier?

I suspect their response will be either:

"We can do that, but we can't guarantee delivery" (which is perfectly reasonable)

or

"We can't do that." (which would be an irrational way to lose business, unless postal services have started to x-ray international packages)

Or there is the possibility of a slightly amended second example; "We can't do that because we have a CONTRACT with DHL for all of our product shipping."

Not sure, but I have run into this before. Every time it was a contractual issue.

Rod

This kind of speculation turns people/businesses into 'boogy men' very quickly.

I have had Pro8 send things to me by usps air mail previously. Their attitude to this was simply that they could not guarantee it once it left their building.

Just ask them.

Their $30 price for any film stock is cheaper than anywhere else in the USA for stock and processing other than Dwaynes for 64t. Sure, its not the Kodachrome price. Its pricing structure was a hang-over from the mass market super 8 days. These are gone ... and so is Kodachrome.

Personally I think Pro8 do an amazing job acquiring, sliting, buying the cartridges, cartridging, packing, and processing 27 or so different kinds of film for $30. Lets say they get the film stock itself for free, and that a fair price for the processing is US$12 (which would be the cheapest colour neg super 8 processing in the world). That leaves $18 for all of the above steps in their production ... It costs money to have stuff done. Each of these steps involves staff and equipment and facilities. Frankly they must have a very efficient system to make money out of that.

No, its not free or even cheap to shoot super 8. If you want free, use your phone!

But to quote $67 for posting 1 roll of film is INSANE. If I were them, I would have said, 'well it makes no sense to send one roll by DHL, so we should post it, but we can't guarantee that'. But that is staff for you.

If you knew what Pro8 packs into their cartridges, you might re-evaluate the bargain. <_<

Would you consider it a bargain if a tuna canning company offers you 1/2 price premium tuna that is really dog food? What would be the resulting damage to the tuna industry as well as the honest companies that struggle to compete?

If you knew what Pro8 packs into their cartridges, you might re-evaluate the bargain. <_<

Would you consider it a bargain if a tuna canning company offers you 1/2 price premium tuna that is really dog food? What would be the resulting damage to the tuna industry as well as the honest companies that struggle to compete?

Do you have hard evidence to back up this extremely serious accusation?

It has been known for a while now that Pro8 packs their super 8 cartridges with short ends. You can ask Media Distributors who sells them most of their short ends for conversion. Some Pro8 employees (both former and current) have also stepped forward with this info.

Ultimately, anyone who wants to know should just ask Pro8mm point blank. So many now know about the short-ends that they may have given up trying to keep it a secret.