Gábor Medvigy

Angeliki Makraki

I loved watching Bela Tarr's Damnation.

BUt, I'll bet no one has heard of Gábor Medvigy.

He's done a lot of Tarr's films, but this one was his first and I think, best.

What camera, lenses, film stock did this guy use ?

How could someone find something like that out ?

I couldn't find anything on the web.

Here it is, I found it! Bela Tarr uses kodak stock. her is an extract from an interview.

http://www.brightlightsfilm.com/30/belatarr1.html

[No, the longest is the first one, in the bar. It's 10 minutes and 20 seconds. Because afterwards the camera runs out of film. Kodak cannot make it longer than 300 meters, which is about 11 minutes.

So that's your only limit?

Yes (laughs), this is my limit, this fu**ing Kodak (laughs), a time limit. A kind of censorship.

Christophe

• Premium Member
[No, the longest is the first one, in the bar. It's 10 minutes and 20 seconds. Because afterwards the camera runs out of film. Kodak cannot make it longer than 300 meters, which is about 11 minutes.

Yes (laughs), this is my limit, this fu**ing Kodak (laughs), a time limit. A kind of censorship.

Actually the limiting factor are the 1000ft magazines of current 35mm caeras, not the stock. Kodak used to make 2000ft rolls when there was a demand for it and there were 2000ft magazines that some soaps where shot on.

Here it is, I found it! Bela Tarr uses kodak stock. her is an extract from an interview.

http://www.brightlightsfilm.com/30/belatarr1.html

Christophe

Oh, yeah, I've seen that article and forgot he said Kodak.

Thanks for reminding me. He says most of it was shot by Medvigy, but not which scenes.

Important ones by the GErman guy. Now we just need to find out cameras and lenses.