Which Editing Software Is Best?

Don Ranow

I'm about to produce and direct my first feature length film on the Cannon XL2. However, in researching the two Editing Softwares that I hear a lot about, I'm having difficulty choosing. I'm working on the PC, about to upgrade to Windows Vista (if that matters), with a Core 2 Duo processor (6400 @ 2.13 GHz) and I'm looking at Avid Liquid and Adobe Premiere Pro 2.

I don't care about all the fancy transition effects. I will be using the basic cut to, dissolve, and fade in and fade out. I anticipate using Adobe After Effects for the CGI work in the film.

So here are my concerns... I'm going to be doing a "Film Out" as well as release on DVD. I need great audio capabilities with 5.1 surround sound. Also rendering quality and rendering time issues are a concern. Color correct would be wonderful.

As I stated, I've read the websites for both of these programs which are geared to make a "sale" but I need to know from practical experience from others which is the best for my particular needs. I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

• Premium Member

Hi,

To be honest, the difference is in the details - you won't find a huge amount of difference between them. I like Premiere, and I know it has a reasonable 5.1 surround mixer (which I've never used), but really most of them will do what you're talking about.

Phil

I don't care about all the fancy transition effects. I will be using the basic cut to, dissolve, and fade in and fade out. I anticipate using Adobe After Effects for the CGI work in the film.

If you're committed to After Effects (which is a great program), I'd recommend taking a look at the Adobe Production Studio Premium. I have an older version of it, but I've found it to be a well-rounded editing and compositing package, and it seems to have only gotten better in the current version. Most notable is the Dynamic Link feature, which will let you do things like work with footage in After Effects that will be automatically updated in your Premiere timeline without having to render and import each time that you make a change. Knowing how I've worked with my software package, that would have been a *huge* time saver.

You've also got a dedicated DVD program (Encore 2.0) and sound program (Audition 2.0). Audition 1.0 was just a rebranded Cool Edit Pro, which I believe was already in version 2.1 at the time of the port, so I can only imagine it's gotten better still since the version I bought. Not to mention Photoshop and Illustrator...

The best all in one NLE for audio is Sony Vegas. I would recommend downloading the trial versions of the programs you are looking at and giving each of them a whirl before you decide on one. Vegas is a little bit different than PPro or Avid in that it is coming from a computer and sound editing background (instead of from the film editing world like Avid) so it is configured a little different than those two ie, it calls files files instead of bins and things like that. As you are working in SD I would also recommend checking out www.dvinfo.net. It has many forums on many NLE's and lots of information. Good luck with your production.

• 3 weeks later...