Canon GL-2 and 24fps

Ray Gonzales

No, it does not have a 24p or 24 frame mode. It does have a "Frame" mode in which it essentially becomes 30fps progressive. It takes the first field of the video frame and duplicates it for the second field. I have used it many times because I like the "look" it gives.

• Premium Member
Thanks Bryan!!!!!

Knowing this information does change my plans though. I guess the panasonic is the way to go huh. Too bad as the GL-2 is about $1k less. Oh well, you get what you pay for right :D

Or you can simply do the 24p gimmick in post with more control and more otions than you can in camera and save the $1k. I do about 1/2 of my video productions where budget might not dictate a 24p camerqa using Nattress filters and the results are no worse than the best 24p camera out there. I think too many folks don't know that such an effect does not have to be done in camera to be done well.

Edited by Walter Graff

As previuosly said, GL2 does not have 24p.

It has 30fps in FRAME movie mode.

It does not simply double the one field.

In Adam Wilt's words:

These cameras get their "proscan" images not by truly perfoming progressive readout on the chips, but rather by offsetting the green CCD's read timing by one scanline during readout -- vertical pixel-shift, if you will. In essence, an even field from R & B CCDs is blended with an odd field from the G CCD, giving you a frame that has the scanlines for both fields captured at the same instant in time. This gives a definite improvement over mere field-doubled "frames", but it's not as sharp vertically as true proscan. Each "scanline" is actually composed of two scanlines from each chip, so there is some softening vertically; also, the effective chroma resolution is halved vertically.

From his site:

Adam Wilt - DV-FAQ-etc. filmlook

I own a XM2 - the European Version.

Normal Mode 50i

Frame Mode 25p (25f if you like :))

That brings me adjacent to 24fps.

One frame does not make that a difference.

A possible sollution would be XM2 shot 25F,

slowed down to 24fps (including audio)

and then 3:2 pulldown into 60i.

BTW a damn good camera :).

Regards

Igor

PS: Long lives PAL !!!

WHY? I keep wondering about the hussle with NTSC's 60i format

and 24p and 3:2 and...

Maybe multi format/FPS television (set) will change that.

24 played 24, 25 -> 25, 30 ->30, 60->60. etc...

In other words some global standard.

Edited by Igor Trajkovski

For an extra thousand, you might kick yourself for not picking up the DVX-100. I have used the GL-2, owned a GL-1 and used the DVX-100 and between the three, the DVX is handsdown the best camera, even if the others had 24p. The dynamic range and quality of video is better than either of the other cameras. If you can bite the bullet on the extra grand, you'll be glad you did. The DVX quickly became my favorite pro-sumer camera for almost any application. Its worth looking into. If not, be wary of software that claims to 'mimic 24fps' because it could never perfectly replicate it, and any attempt to do so looks bad in my opinion (just my opinion, others like the look)

at least go to a rental house and do a side by side shootout and decide for yourself. all you have to waste is half a day and two mini-DV tapes.