Tests between Z1 and HVX200

sebastien corre

Hi everyone interested,

I am about to buy a Panasonic HVX200 and I went to a shop to make some tests.

Mainly I checked the differences between this camera and the Sony HVR-Z1.

I didn't have much time, nor any lightning equipment. I just had the ambient lightning of the shop and my lightmeter. So be aware that these tests are approximate.

I couldn't record anything in HD, so I recorded all my tests in DV SP.

You can watch the tests in WMV here.

My conclusions are that the HVX200 has a greater amplitude. 2 stops in the high lights, and 2 stops in the low lights. I measured the Z1 at ISO 125 and the HVX200 at ISO 200.

I hope these tests will be usefull to you.

Sebastien Corre.

• 7 months later...

I'm in the same situation at the moment with the v1 as a 3rd possible. Your test is very helpful to me as I was wondering about the quality of the mini dv in the 200 as I can anticipate a job where i would need to role hours of footage at an event such as a conference etc. where p2 just wouldn't fit. Is the z1 footage in your test hdv or just plain dv?

Thanks

Plus the HVX is a P2 machine that has variable framerates and a space saving native recording mode. Nuff said.

It's only downfall is that it sucks for event photgraphy, leaving you with only three choices for obtaining hours of footage- use a mini DV stape and record SD, use an FS-100 hard drive giving you about 100 minutes, or dump to a laptop useing DVrack. Each of those are usually not acceptable in run and gun situations.

Hey Muchi, I'm glad my tests were helpful to you.

I recorded everything in DV.

I bought the HVX200 5 months ago and I'm so glad of it. I have a lot of fun with it.

It's really a great camera, both in DV and in any HD format.

Hope you made a good choice.

I have found that the Hvx is a gret camera for DV usage and its glass is amazing for such use. Consider the Hdv for its 4:2:0 encoding and the mpeg2, I have made tests and the Hvx handles chromatic latitude and highlighs very well, the highlight on the Hdv cameras didn't make me very happy. consider the 16gb cards for long gigs.

João

• Premium Member
Plus the HVX is a P2 machine that has variable framerates and a space saving native recording mode. Nuff said.

It's only downfall is that it sucks for event photgraphy, leaving you with only three choices for obtaining hours of footage- use a mini DV stape and record SD, use an FS-100 hard drive giving you about 100 minutes, or dump to a laptop useing DVrack. Each of those are usually not acceptable in run and gun situations.

16G cards are dirt cheap to rent so there's no reason not to own one and have 3 on backup.

Re- Z1 vs. HVX200 consider: Sony = 19-25mb/s vs. Panasonic DVCPro HD = 100mb/s.