How to shoot HD t.v. with HVX-200?

Jim Feldspar

I got to use an HVX-200 for an hour yesterday to shoot some tests on location of a scene

for an unpcoming project. We're going to shoot HD but yesterday I didn't have a P2 card so

I shot 480 24P which still was helpful with the 16x9 frame.

However, there are two HD televisions in the scene that will be in some shots. I was told that

one is 1080i and that one looked okay. The other, probably 1080 but don't know yet, had the

same lines that you see in old shows where t.v.s were shot on film.

I want to shoot 720P. When I go there, will being in 720 make a difference as to whether the

second monitor still has those bars? At 24P, the shutter speed is 1/24. Should I change that

or what can I do?

The differing resolutions between the HDTV's and the 720p camera shouldn't make for any issues.

Search the forums to find out solutions for setting your camera so as to prevent flicker/lines on the TV screen.

I'll keep searching but all that turned up was ways to simulate the flicker from an offscreen t.v..

Searches like correcting for or eliminating flicker, etc. didn't turn up anything.

Sounds like you just need to ride the Syncro Scan function.

Go into the Scene File menu and change the syncro scan setting until the black bars disappear. Film Cam or Video Cam mode- doesn't matter.

Sounds good. It will be interesting to see if/ how the 24P at 1/48th look is affected but it

probably depends on how much of a change is required. Thanks.

Sounds good. It will be interesting to see if/ how the 24P at 1/48th look is affected but it

probably depends on how much of a change is required. Thanks.

Shouldn't be very noticeable unless you have a lot of quick or jumpy movement in frame with the TV. As long as you match exposure to the non syncro scan footage (use zebras / marker), it should be invisible.

Shouldn't be very noticeable unless you have a lot of quick or jumpy movement in frame with the TV. As long as you match exposure to the non syncro scan footage (use zebras / marker), it should be invisible.

Great. Also, the t.v. is likely going to be in a couple of shots only and even then a small

part of the frame except for maybe two quick shots. Thanks.