Lighting Suggestions Needed

Hey Guys,

I'm really trying to get better with lighting various setups. I guess the only way to get better is practice so we shot this a few weekends ago. It was shot in about 5 hours. I have a 35mm adapter on my HVX so there are some moments where we are hunting for focus (no follow focus yet).

Overall, any suggestions on ways to improve the lighting, mood, ect.

Thanks,

Brian

http://web.mac.com/bcmusik/iWeb/QT7ONLY/Blazin.html

Hey Guys,

I'm really trying to get better with lighting various setups. I guess the only way to get better is practice so we shot this a few weekends ago. It was shot in about 5 hours. I have a 35mm adapter on my HVX so there are some moments where we are hunting for focus (no follow focus yet).

Thanks,

Brian

Honestly, I really liked it. There were a couple of shots on the guy outside where the highlights on his face seemed to be blowing out, so I'd take another look at why that happened (unless you wanted it that way) but otherwise, it all looked pretty solid. Even the slight focus "hunting," while a mistake I guess, actually works for the piece, sort of the way Bourne Supremecy uses it. I'd actually be prone to add more focus hunting and maybe even a little more "frame hunting" (not handheld though) to increase the energy and add growing tension.

Overall, not bad. :)

I thought it looked pretty good. The exteriors I think were fine blown out the way they were. The only shot I think could have used some tweeking was the closeup of the latino guy (who ultimately gets shot). It looks a little noisy instead of being simply underexposed.

I liked the soft focus aspects of it actually, felt it gave the piece some character and it didn't just look like automatic focus was going wacky on some cheap MiniDV camera.

I liked the lens flare from the window in the shot of the guy with the gun under his chin. Looked nice :)

I would suggest more in the way of art direction. Not a lighting suggestion, but if you don't have anything to light the overall project will suffer. It's supposed to be safe house, no? It looks like a huge empty, apartment that you happen to access through a grimy alley. I liked the alley scenes and would expect you to continue the same underworld theme in the safe house. The mood is dark and depressing so the lighting should reflect that- read shadow.

The shot where they look through the window at the approaching thugs doesn't work. It's a back alley. Maybe if they go to the second floor, but there is no indication from the angle that this is the case.

Well edited.

Thanks for the feedback everyone - I appreciate and need it.

Jonathan - You're right about the shot of the guy who get's shot looking grainy on the CU's. I had to bump the gain in color correction because it was too dark. Looking in my monitor (Marshall) it felt right on set but I've got to get my eyes used to catching those things. With the adapter on my camera my light meter is almost useless.

Danielle - Nice catch. The intro alley is a different location from where the 2 guys walk in the door in the back of the house. I wish there was a 2nd story to shot down onto the alley. Do you think mabye with color correction I could add the shadows or darker mood you suggest?

Hey Guys,

Thanks,

Brian

Great stuff. Well shot even with the focus issues. I have a hard time trying to critique lighting because I think it is a really up to how you want the mood to be. To give it a little more of an "edgy" look you could try not using so much fill so you get more contrast, maybe darken the overall ambient light in the background so the practicals pop more. Some of the outside stuff looks overexposed (gotta really watch the highlights with the HVX) but I like the way it is lit. So i guess my point is adding more contrast overall could give it a more dramatic feel. Once again great stuff.