Quarz Super 8 vs Canon 310XL- Picture quality?

Gerard Furber

hi!!!

dont think twice, if youre planing to buy.... buy the russian quartz, is far better than this canon youre asking about.

the good canon are 814 and 1014 but are more expensive than the quartz.

the quartz you can find it on ebay in working condition from about 30 usd.

have fun!!

Treegan

http://geocities.com/russiancamera/super8/quarz_1x8s-2.htm

Hi to all! Though I like Canons in general and I have a few models as well, in this case I would go for the Quarz. I got one and it's great, almost manual (except fo the auto aperture option), films at 24fps and TTL manual/auto lightmeter. Great for learning! The downside is doesn't have the low light shuter angle and the lightmeter uses mercury batteries. Anyway, I wouldn't think it twice.

Hope this helps. Best regards,

Morales

Which should I keep if I am looking for the sharper images of the two? Haven't tested either yet, but would like some opinions.

310XL has a faster lens and seemed sharper to me, it has a 220 degree shutter, it does only auto-exposure...The 310XL has the fastest super8-lens ever and with the 220 degree shutter you get a lot of light on your film...

the quarz has more speed options, manual exposure and is spring-wound, altough it needs batteries for lightmeter... I had two Zenit Quarz 1x8S-2 both were rather soft...they are a nice collector item but I found the images to soft, I never used them again since... The only cool thing is that you can take off the zoomlens and you get a camera with focus free primelens somewhere between 16mm-20mm that can be nice if you use it with an anamorphic adapter...

to be really sure I'd shoot some tests, there can be differences between individual cameras of the same type...

cheers, Bernhard