Timelapse w/ Canon 814 xls help

Erik J. Weber

Hey guys,

I'm planning to shoot a timelapse short of a friend of mine creating a giant graffiti painting on the side of the building this weekend with my Canon 814-xls, however, I am a bit turned around as to what to set the camera to.

He says that the painting should take about an hour, and therefore I wanted to sync up the timelapse so that the one hour gets compressed onto the 50' reel, 2 1/2 minutes of Velvia that I bought (also got a second cart in case it runs over). What calculation should be performed to get this right in reference to the camera's settings?

I am a bit confused because the 814xls manual isn't entirely clear as to what the 5 and 20 second dials on the timed filming knob do, thought I'm guessing it's one frame every five seconds or one frame every 20 seconds? Or maybe one second every five seconds, or one second every 20 seconds?

Help!

Thanks,

Erik

its 1 frame every 5 seconds or 1 frame every 20 seconds.

Time of Projection: 30sec

Time of Event: 1hr or 3600sec

Projection speed: 18fps

If these were the parameters you wanted you would need a interval of 24sec. so assuming I did the math right you would probably want to select the 1 frame every 20seconds option

another way to look at it if you select the 1 frame every 5 seconds you will be able to capture around a 30min event. If you select the 1 frame every 20 seconds you will be able to capture an event between 2-3hrs.

edit:

I did the math wrong...figures. You would want 1 frm every 1 sec for a 1 hr event

Edited by bsmaier