Help! Sony viewfinder disables HD component output to monitor

Dror Dayan

Hello everybody!

I was pre-testing my HVX200 today at the rental house, with P&S Adaptor and Sony viewfinder. The viewfinder is connected to the camera with an s-video (pal), which, when connected, automatically disables the component output that I need for my HD monitor. The owner said the camera can only output pal OR component. so the choice is either to have an HD monitor for the director or to have a viewfinder for me! I can get picture to the monitor over another Pal-output, but than it´s not HD, or am I wrong? my camera-assistent said HD goes only over the component cabel, and I think he´s right. and I think my director deserves to see her film in HD on the set, no?

I would appreciate brilliant ideas and experiences, we´re shooting next tuesday...

thanks,

dror

You need to run the HD component out from the camera to an AHA HD10A box, which will convert it to HD-SDI. Send one output to you HD monitor. Send another to a second AJA box, the HD10MD (model 1, 2 or 3). This will downconvert to SD and you can use the component out's Y-channel (luminance) to go to the viewfinder.

This sounds complicated but we do it all the time. The AJA boxes are very small and can power from 12v (make sure to have the 12v version of the HD10A).

It seems to me by his description that he is using a component HD monitor rather than a SDI one, in which case this wouldn't work I guess. He would have to get some sort of component splitter (they are quite cheap on Ebay, like 10 bucks or so) and send one component set to the monitor and then send the other through some sort of component to S-video converter or just use only the green channel of the component signal (and leave the other 2 unplugged), which normally carries the composite signal and feed that to the viewfinder. That?s my guess.

Ok, I see your point. Although I think unless he's running a long cable, the component split shouldn't noticeably degrade the signal. Dos the Mini35 own breakout box amplifies the signals? But anyways, so what would be another way? If he has no SDI monitor which seems to be the case, he would have to find a way to split the component signal and then downconvert it. I don't see another way of doing it if using a component HD monitor.

P.S. About sending an HD luminance signal to the viewfinder, I don't know how the HVX200 does it, but when I used a HD100 I remember the composite signal was also the green signal for component. Component gerenally carries composite on the green.

Edited by Adam Paul

Not with the HD100. The composite is in the green.

You switch the output in the menus. If you switch to an SD downconvert, then the top jack acts as a composite out. If you are in component out (either in SD or HD), then the top jack acts as the green channel, which is luminance.

• Premium Member

Hi,

Well to be fair, the green channel is almost luminance. It's only because we've defined that TV green will be such a feeble, sappy, hopelessly undersaturated lemony-grassy colour that this is so, of course.

The advice stands, though.

Phil

You switch the output in the menus. If you switch to an SD downconvert, then the top jack acts as a composite out. If you are in component out (either in SD or HD), then the top jack acts as the green channel, which is luminance.

I only used the camera a few times. Is it possible there's an auto switch option? Because I was just switching cables and it was working. I didn't go to the menus at all.

So how could he convert his component HD to composite SD in order to be able to use the viewfinder then?

There is an auto setting as well, so that it detects if you just use the one spigot.

That would explain why I didnt have to go in the menu to change it.

So, is there a simple way to convert component HD to composite SD?

Other than internally in the camera? Not really, as there is no single box, at least not one that is field portable. You need to take an AJA HD10A to get from component HD to HD-SDI and then an AJA HD10MD3 to get from HD-SDI to composite SD (or component SD or SD-SDI -- it does all varieties).

Other than internally in the camera? Not really, as there is no single box, at least not one that is field portable. You need to take an AJA HD10A to get from component HD to HD-SDI and then an AJA HD10MD3 to get from HD-SDI to composite SD (or component SD or SD-SDI -- it does all varieties).

Well the two AJA boxes you listed seem to be portable enough actually. Although pricy.

But I wonder why there aren't any other cheaper options. Are there at least cheaper ways to convert component SD to composite? It seems to be a pretty straight forward thing really.