Query on Shooting Super 16mm

Guest savio noronha

Guest savio noronha

Dear All,

Your assistance and advice would be immensely valuable, I have 4 queries:

I shall be shooting a feature film in Goa, India in October this year; the weather will be dismal with sporadic showers and bouts of sunshine. A very small crew (4 people) and cast (8 including a goat and a buffalo) is involved and the budget is reasonable yet tight. The story is set in the 70's. I am based in London.

My 4 queries:

A

Super 16 Camera---I have narrowed the choice to the Aaton Xtera OR the Aaton A-Minima. Since this is my first feature, I wish to keep things as simple as possible in order to wrap things up in 3 weeks, the gear should be minimum, a lot of coverage also involves capturing the exploits of the protagonist on his bicycle. I have used handycams and Bolex 16mm cameras (but not with sound) before. If I need to spend a day or two with a professional and practically learn as much as possible on how to operate the Aaton Xtera OR the Aaton A-Minima, who should I approach? Do you recommend approaching a cinematographer or film rental agents? If you know of anyone in London or the UK who could help, fire away.

B

What is the simplest way of recording sound using the Aaton Xtera OR the Aaton A-Minima? I know that Aaton's latest offering in sound equipment is the Cantar but it's quite expensive to rent out. Please bear in mind that mobility during the shoot is critical, some coverage would have to be done with the camera hoisted on a heavy motorcycle like the Royal Enfield.

C

What is the general difference in the final output between the Aaton Xtera OR the Aaton A-Minima? Why would you use the A-Minima and not the Xtera and vice versa?

D

If you have seen the film ?Sideways? by Alexander Payne, how did they achieve the 70?s look? Any suggestions of achieving a similar look as the film is based in the 70?s.

Thank you.

Wishes-Savio Noronha

Hi,

Firstly i would recomend using the Arri Sr 2 (and not aaton) as it is a simple camera to use for first time users especially if you are comming from a Bolex. Arri also offer good technical support if any thing where to go worng with the camera,

Secondaly, i would speak to Axis films in shepperton London as they have always been a great help in advising us with hiring 16mm camera and acccesorys

Thirdly if i remember correctly i'm sure sideway used a a certain filter to get that 70's effect, perhaps straw.

Im sorry if this has been no help,

Good Luck

Adrian Barry

Hi,

i don't know if I agree - the XTR is a lighter camera than the Arri. Many people use it for doco work so I would say the XTR. Not the Minima as the it only has 100ft loads (2 1/2 minutes approx.) compared to 400 ft loads for the Arri or Aaton.

I'm not a sound personbut I'm assuming that people record straighht to harr drive on HHb recorders now or they still use DAT HHB recorders...Don't know. However some people still use reel Nagras I think because they are so sturdy especially for location work. Much heacvier though I assume but built like tanks.

My 2p worth...

As far as sound goes if you have a small crew and your budget allots for it, a Sound Devices 7-series recorder is compact, light, and manageable by one person (I'm perfectly capable of mixing and booming simultaneously if I have one of these) and they have things that may save you due to lack of people (an adjustable pre-roll record time, nice file naming capabilities, etc). If the budget doesn't allow for one of these, a Marantz compact flash recorder with large cards will do the trick.