Un long dimanche de fiançailles

Looks like Bruno Delbonnel is Jeane Pierre Jeunet's newly discovered favorite cinematographer and Audrey Tautou is another future fixture of his...he tends to work with the same people...probably because he's supposedly a control freak. He must've picked Bruno over Darius Khondji which says a LOT about what we'll see from Bruno in the future.

I must say, the images look good. Although, it sort of looks similar to what Janusz Kaminski's did on Saving Private Ryan from what I saw of the trailer on the Un long dimanche de fiançailles website. It definitely has that yellowish DI look like that of certain parts of Amelie as well.

I can't wait until it's released in America because Jeunet is one of my favorite directors because he really has a cinematic mind. I am not sure if his vision works as well in this kind of film, but that remains to be seen. I love his other films for sure though.

Anyone in France seen it yet?

Here's the IMDB link for yall

Also, the photos by Bruno Calvo on the website are astoundingly beautiful. There's this one with a sort of infinite depth of field that made my jaw drop and the battlefield sets look extremely realistic.

• Premium Member
He must've picked Bruno over Darius Khondji which says a LOT about what we'll see from Bruno in the future. 

From what I heard Darius Khondji asked for too much money to do 'Amélie' so Jeunet went with Delbonnel.

This film will only get released in France at the end of October btw.

He must've picked Bruno over Darius Khondji which says a LOT about what we'll see from Bruno in the future. 

From what I heard Darius Khondji asked for too much money to do 'Amélie' so Jeunet went with Delbonnel.

This film will only get released in France at the end of October btw.

ahhh I see. Makes sense.....I guess Khondji can ask for whatever he wants. Sucks that it'll only get released in France. I hope they realize that since Amélie, Jeunet has plenty of fans in the US...I guess not enough to warrant a release in the US, but oh well.

I love Bruno Delbonnel as much as I love Darius Khondji.

(which means a lot) because Mr.Khondji's style is truly admirable.

Great use of color palatte and much more..

And Mr.Delbonnel .. I'll say one word that will explain a lot : "amelie"

I can not wait to see this new flick.

PS: Audiris , do you have your reel laying online somewhere? You made me curious from our previous conversation on Bill Pope.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Nobody noticed? A new trailer!

http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?id=6166 (take super hi-res, it's worth it)

Mr. Delbonnel seems to be a real master of cinematography (or is it Jeunet himself?). Did he used the Ultra Primes or already the new Master Primes?

I'm a huge fan of Amelie and I hope he can repeat this success.

Jean Pierre Jeunet, the new Luc Besson (I think Leon is the second best movie of all time!)?

Are French the only European filmmakers, who can create a real great cinema-look? When I look at all our cheap German movies, exceptions are so rare (Mr. Tykwers next film will be made in Hollywood?)... :ph34r:

"Are French the only European filmmakers, who can create a real great cinema-look? When I look at all our cheap German movies, exceptions are so rare (Mr. Tykwers next film will be made in Hollywood?)..."

Come on georgel, don't despair. Germany has great technical support and fantastic talent especially in Berlin. Get some people together and make the movie you want to make.

I am a DP based in France and there are lots of talented people here. IMHO there is a lot of crap films here too. Just like everywhere else. The grass seems to be greener on the other side for you I think. Like Malcolm X said "If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem..."

I don't agree with all that Malcolm X said but I feel that this idea is applicable to many different situations including "artistic malcontent". It's tough here too, believe me!