Cheap way to test film stocks

Hi iam a student and about to shoot a short film for school.

For this short film i want to test different kinds of film stocks to see how they react and to do a key light test with them. Most of the time we are shooting with kodak vision 2 500t (16mm) here at school. But i want to work with other stocks to learn about there look. Does anyone know a cheap way to test different kind of filmstocks without having to buy a full roll of film for each stock and having it developed. Maybe with dia or something but i don't know if the stocks are the same for photography and film.

I just want to learn more about the different kind of film available on the market so maybe my schoolprojects can have a better look in the future

thanks in advance

pepijn

This posting belongs in the Film Stocks and Processing forum, or First Time Filmmakers...but anyway

Just get a bunch of friends together who are willing to chip in and buy, roll, and process full 100' rolls of the stocks you're interested in. I don't know of any place that sells anything shorter than 100'

Film is cheaper the more people you get to invest in it. You can always get together again for a screening of the workprint so you'll all learn what each stock has to offer.

If they still exist, RGB is a great place in Hollywood, CA that sells 35mm rolls of kodak stocks for your still 35mm camera. You can get any kodak stock and they deliver on slides. It's a great way to learn what a certain film stock can do.

somehow dp's will have to share theire test to save money. a website is a good place to do it

i test F64D pushed 1 stop this week to chek the grain.

my conclusions is that te grain doesn't move from 64 to 125 but density moves slitly. (more density pushed 1 stop)

we should do a data base of all these tests

• 2 weeks later...

I think RGB no longer exists, but you can still find other places that will allow you to do the same thing.

Otherwise, buy 100 feet of the stock you want to test and roll it yourself into an empty 35mm canister (you can get them in Photo Stores or go to Walmart, or other places that develop film and ask for 5 or ten empties). Call the local labs and ask if they mind processing it for you. Shoot a gray card at the head like you would a regular film test and shoot still set ups. Process, then view in a slide projector. It costs roughly 7 quid in England to process 35 stills in this fashion and is a great way to inexpensively test the stock and filters you may want.