Elmo 1012S-XL power issue

Rodney Dotson

I hope someone can point me in the right direction on this.

My Elmo 1012 is in great shape and functions perfectly in hand-held filming. The problem is that when I fold the handle up to TriPod mount, I get no power to the camera. I had not attempted to run the camera on a TriPod until recently, so I was unaware of this issue. I can get a good "battery check" with the handle up but there is no power to the rest of the camera (light meter, trigger, etc.). I have tried it with just the onboard batteries and the external pack as well (both with and without onboard batts loaded)

I inspected what I could without opening the camera body and the wires leading inside the body seem very solid.

Is there a setting on the camera that I'm missing for mount function?

If the camera does need repair, IJM seems to be the place for Elmo work. Would anyone recommed me give them a call?

I love the camera and would like to be able to use it for my next short, but I may have to resort to my Sankyo ES66 or Bolex 525 for the work :(

Any input would be apreciated!

Rod

Edited by Rodney Dotson

I hope someone can point me in the right direction on this.

My Elmo 1012 is in great shape and functions perfectly in hand-held filming. The problem is that when I fold the handle up to TriPod mount, I get no power to the camera. I had not attempted to run the camera on a TriPod until recently, so I was unaware of this issue. I can get a good "battery check" with the handle up but there is no power to the rest of the camera (light meter, trigger, etc.). I have tried it with just the onboard batteries and the external pack as well (both with and without onboard batts loaded)

I inspected what I could without opening the camera body and the wires leading inside the body seem very solid.

Is there a setting on the camera that I'm missing for mount function?

If the camera does need repair, IJM seems to be the place for Elmo work. Would anyone recommed me give them a call?

I love the camera and would like to be able to use it for my next short, but I may have to resort to my Sankyo ES66 or Bolex 525 for the work :(

Any input would be apreciated!

Rod

Moron Alert!

After speaking with IJM (Irv), even though I thought that I had tested it, the "T" setting on the power switch seemed to power it up just fine. *Egg on Face*

I'm still sending it down there to be serviced and checked out (foam seals are getting mushy), but I would like to give IJM hearty:

THANK YOU!

• Premium Member
Moron Alert!

After speaking with IJM (Irv), even though I thought that I had tested it, the "T" setting on the power switch seemed to power it up just fine. *Egg on Face*

I'm still sending it down there to be serviced and checked out (foam seals are getting mushy), but I would like to give IJM hearty:

THANK YOU!

I don't understand. First you said that you could make the camera work with the handle down, but when you retracted it, it would no longer work! If that is the case, that does sound like something is wrong, no? You might want to verify if you have an intermittent power issue.

Did you try running the camera as you retract the handle to see if there is an intermittent issue?

I don't understand. First you said that you could make the camera work with the handle down, but when you retracted it, it would no longer work! If that is the case, that does sound like something is wrong, no? You might want to verify if you have an intermittent power issue.

Did you try running the camera as you retract the handle to see if there is an intermittent issue?

There is a setting on the power switch marked with a "T". When you have the handle retracted to mount on a TriPod, Instead of using the "ON" setting, you must use the "T" setting (I suppose it would stand for TriPod).

I thought that I had moved the switch to the "T" position while trying to get the camera to power on, but I must have been mistaken. It seemed to work fine after speaking with IJM.

I am still sending it down to be looked at and serviced. If there is anything truly wrong with it, I'll have it taken care of then.

Rod

Some Elmo's, like this one, have a "T" setting on the power switch. T stands for tripod. It allows the camera to run when the grip is folded up. You go to normal power "on" when grip is down.

I have no idea what was behind this weird design - it's screwed me up in the past - but there is nothing wrong with the camera in this regard. It was designed that way.

Rick

Don't feel bad! I had the same "trouble" when I got my Elmo! So it may be like the rookie Elmo user "baptism"!

Maybe that's what the "T" is for....

Trouble!

Worst part was, my father, who has put probably a hundred miles of 8mm through a camera in his day, had come over to see my "fancy" new camera. Oh well, works fine now :)

Foam is getting "that feel" to it though, so it's going in for service.