Bolex Exposed Film Problem

Stephen Smith

hello.

I recently shot some colour negative with a bolex H16 reflex, this is the first time i've shot any at all, most of it came out fine except for a bit that seems to be totally overexposed along the right hand side.

I read in the cinematography third edition afterwards that this could be due to the filter slit thing on the bolex not being shut? If anyone could have a look at the image attached and suggest what they think it is i'd be very grateful. The camera belongs to my university who seem happy to have it sitting on a shelf gathering dust, apparantly it hasn't been used for years.

Thanks.post-13498-1171230822.jpg

• Premium Member
I read in the cinematography third edition afterwards that this could be due to the filter slit thing on the bolex not being shut? If anyone could have a look at the image attached and suggest what they think it is i'd be very grateful.

What you posted is consistant with some light coming in from the left side of the camera (viewed from the back) if the film was daylight balanced.

If the filter holder is missing a bit of black tape should be enough to cover the leak and let you use the camera.

• Premium Member
hello.

I recently shot some colour negative with a bolex H16 reflex, this is the first time i've shot any at all, most of it came out fine except for a bit that seems to be totally overexposed along the right hand side.

I read in the cinematography third edition afterwards that this could be due to the filter slit thing on the bolex not being shut? If anyone could have a look at the image attached and suggest what they think it is i'd be very grateful. The camera belongs to my university who seem happy to have it sitting on a shelf gathering dust, apparantly it hasn't been used for years.

That, without a doubt, looks like you're missing the filter holder. And just like has been mentioned, using black tape over the slot will solve your problem in the future. The slot is right behind the lens turrent on the front of the camera.