Cleaning Optics

Guest Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

At the moment I use a splash of methylated spirit and a fibre cloth to finish.

You can get those air brushes and compressed air tins, but, in an experienced opinion what's the best way of cleaning optics? (i.e. lenses e.t.c.)

• Premium Member

Hi,

I'd be careful about methylated spirits - particularly if it's got the purple dye in it (if it hasn't, it tends to be called surgical spirit.) There are coatings on the lenses and there are things out there which will strip them off, terrifyingly.

I've always used a Kodak branded lens cleaner. I have no idea what is in it or where it came from as I found it in some ancient super-8 equipment belonging to my father. It's great, though!

Most opticians have cloths for cleaning spectacles that they practically give away - seem to work.

Phil

I'd be careful about methylated spirits - particularly if it's got the purple dye in it

Umm, what colour was that stuff I used, oh wasn't it...

ohhhhhh... CRAP........ :o

(Never mind, heheh, cheap old lense anyway)

Thanks, I now know NOT to use purple spirit, well, spirit full stop.

• Premium Member

I apprenticed under an old German photographer(first time I ever climbed

up on a ladder to do a shoot,he had a major fit. It was a shot of bank em-

ployees in the bank and I wanted to look down on them and show part of

the bank interior also. He said I was practicing some kind of new age shooting).

Here is what he taught me about cleaning lens glass. He said the salava in one's

mouth is equal to the ph of the glass. Spit on the glass and rub gently in a circular

motion with the softest chamois cloth you can find.(soft!!!!!!!!!) I've done it for years with Nikon lenses(always super clean glass with no problems). I know you

think I'm crazy! Get an old cheap discarded lens and try it!!!!!!!! This guy photo-

graphed the Queen of England for a canadian newspaper(after he cleaned his

lens with spit). He was a Panzer tank commander for the German army in WW2.

I apprenticed under an old German photographer(first time I ever climbed

up on a ladder to do a shoot,he had a major fit. It was a shot of bank em-

ployees in the bank and I wanted to look down on them and show part of

the bank interior also. He said I was practicing some kind of new age shooting).

Here is what he taught me about cleaning lens glass. He said the salava in one's

mouth is equal to the ph of the glass. Spit on the glass and rub gently in a circular

motion with the softest chamois cloth you can find.(soft!!!!!!!!!) I've done it for years with Nikon lenses(always super clean glass with no problems). I know you

think I'm crazy! Get an old cheap discarded lens and try it!!!!!!!! This guy photo-

graphed the Queen of England for a canadian newspaper(after he cleaned his

lens with spit). He was a Panzer tank commander for the German army in WW2.

I've heard that human saliva can also act as somewhat of a condensation shield. They say that using spit on things like ski masks or even your glasses will help them to not "fog up," but I don't think one would need to really worry about this with camera lenses.

• Premium Member

Schneider Optics "white paper" on lens cleaning:

http://www.schneideroptics.com/info/white_...ns_cleaning.pdf

If there is only dust on the surfaces, use a clean soft "camel's hair brush" to gently wipe it away. Compressed air can force debris or liquid INTO the lens, and an abrasive particle can make it like sandblasting.