Nizo S55 Problems

Colton Davie

I recently picked up a Nizo S55 off of eBay. Upon recieving it, I put in some batteries and pulled the trigger to see if it ran. It did, and as far as I know it sounded like it was running properly. However, I wasn't seeing any pointer or anything on the f-stop scale in the viewfinder, even when I turned the knob to manual.

Today I recieved a roll of Tri-X film to test the camera. I also picked up a couple batteries for the light meter. Even with the catridge loaded and light meter batteries installed, I wasn't seeing any sort of indicator on the f-stop scale. I then rolled off several seconds of film. It sounded as if it was being transported by the drive, however, it did not sound like it was rolling very smoothly/regularly. Once, the film seemed to stop, and the camera started making this continuous buzzing noise, even after I released the trigger. It wouldn't stop until I folded back the handle, thus disconnecting the batteries.

This is my first, supposedly working, super 8 camera, so I don't know much about them. But, it seems that I am having a problem with the exposure indicator as well as the film drive. Does anyone know a way to fix this problem?

Thanks,

• Premium Member
I recently picked up a Nizo S55 off of eBay. Upon recieving it, I put in some batteries and pulled the trigger to see if it ran. It did, and as far as I know it sounded like it was running properly. However, I wasn't seeing any pointer or anything on the f-stop scale in the viewfinder, even when I turned the knob to manual.

Today I received a roll of Tri-X film to test the camera. I also picked up a couple batteries for the light meter. Even with the catridge loaded and light meter batteries installed, I wasn't seeing any sort of indicator on the f-stop scale. I then rolled off several seconds of film. It sounded as if it was being transported by the drive, however, it did not sound like it was rolling very smoothly/regularly. Once, the film seemed to stop, and the camera started making this continuous buzzing noise, even after I released the trigger. It wouldn't stop until I folded back the handle, thus disconnecting the batteries.

This is my first, supposedly working, super 8 camera, so I don't know much about them. But, it seems that I am having a problem with the exposure indicator as well as the film drive. Does anyone know a way to fix this problem?

Thanks,

Four likely causes are, the camera motor needs lubrication, one or more of the double A batteries was put in incorrectly, the batteries are weak, the film is jamming inside the cartridge.

The light meter issue might be more complex.

Without any film in the camera, do a brief test of the filming speeds, including slow motion. Some say it's bad to run the camera with no film in it so do it for just a few seconds at each speed, but do change the camera speeds while the camera is running so you can compare the noise the camera makes at different speeds. The camera should sound smooth versus "ratchety" as you decrease the filming speeds. If the camera does not sound smooth, refer to the possible battery and motor related causes mentioned above.

• 10 years later...

For future issues with the buzzing sound. Which the Canon 514XLS is known for. What this usually is, is that the power is getting to the motor, the motor wants to turn but the stop gear is jammed. The magnetic release is the problem or some of the gears teeth have worn and it's jammed.

I see this often with the 814 auto Electronics that was the firs Canon to use the magnetic release. Nizos like the one I have opened now also uses the Mag release.

The 541xls is a bigger issue. Canon used the same lubricants they always had when manufacturing the newer 514XLS and 318 XLS. What happens over time is that the stop gear slowly degenerates and the teeth become soft. That is why the humming sound is heard as the gears teeth are worn and the broken pieces jam the gear. The 814 autos used a much harder plastic so the gears hold up over time.