"KamaStutra" music video

On Feb 10th I had the opportunity to be a camera assistant on a music video being shot in San Jose, California. We had a call time of 8am at CLub Havana in downtown SJ and when I arrived we hads over 50 people on crew and around 30 extras hanging around. The artists name was Rome and he was a latin rapper, music was almost raggaetone. I was told the video was for Mtv3 and Mundoz. I was also told that becasue it was being shot for those channels that it would definatley be a racier, sexier video than a typical MTv video. THey weren't kidding.

WHen the cameras arrived on set we had three Panisonic Hvx-200 with p2 cards. I had never shot with one before, but before I knew it I was a camera operator. I shot over half the video including several jib shots and dollys. For some reason the director wanted three cameras rolling at all times. So in the end I believe we had over 450 minutes of footage for a three minute song. I was also tought how to dump p2 cards into a lap top and manage the raw media.

By 5pm we were far behind schedule and things were being cut left and right from the shot list. WE had also lost over half the crew. this is what happens when no one gets paid and the shoot is extremely unorganized. But the girls were still there. We had over 20 girls in lingerie and covered in baby oil. I think I want to shoot rap videos from now on, lol.

The premise of the video was Rome arriving to the club in an escalade limo and preforming on stage to a packed crowd of scantaly clad women. THere were several scenes shot in the VIP room which included a group of 10 girls in lingerie rubbing on each other while Rome looked on reading a book of Kamastura and eventually joining the mass of women and rapping his song. Also a random scene of Rome meeting a girl by a phone booth outside with his "Hype man" and two security guards. It all came together with a choerographed dance troop while rome looked on from a Chaize lounge and a girl rubbed lotion on his tattoed chest with janet jackson pierced nipples.(worst part of the shoot).

All in all it was a good day ending at around 9pm. I now feel comfortable setting up and using a Hvx-200 P2 and managing the raw media from the P2 cards or pocket drives. I'll post some pics later this week and eventually upload the video.

kirk