Battery recharging in very remote areas

Kevin Hansen

We're going to video in India this fall, and after our scouting trip I'm very concerned about being able to recharge batteries (Canon XL2's) in the field.

Some places we'll be have absolutely no conventional electrical power supplies.

Can anyone recommend brands/devices they have used reliably, like a set of power converting transformers? A micro-size gasoline generator? A voltage regulator?

Thanks in advance!

I do a fair bit of travelling and I always carry a bunch of voltage converters (India is British two-prong) but that may not help in this case. You cant travel with a generator unless you plan on leaving it behind, airlines wont let you ship used generators. Your best bet is to find a good solar panel charging sytem, and make yourself a dummy battery that will run on 9 volts or AA's , which are available anywhere. It wont last long, but can save you in a pinch. Also make sure you charger will "hunt" for the correct voltage, generally all the units supplied with the camera will work but not all aftermarket units will. good luck

name='Kevin Hansen' date='Feb 13 2007, 08:28 PM' post='154843']

We're going to video in India this fall, and after our scouting trip I'm very concerned about being able to recharge batteries (Canon XL2's) in the field.

Some places we'll be have absolutely no conventional electrical power supplies.

Can anyone recommend brands/devices they have used reliably, like a set of power converting transformers? A micro-size gasoline generator? A voltage regulator?

Thanks in advance!

• Premium Member

I guess apart from using a genny or a solar system your best bet is getting a converter to recharge your stuff in a car using its 12V output. There are a couple of good & cheap ones, with an output of about 300W at 230V. Here in Europe these are about 100 Euro.

HTH, Dave

Don, Dave, thanks very much.

12V seems like a useful way to go, as the 12V transformer would provide some stabilization from input voltage spikes, or work in a car. Also saw a solar backpack 12V system - but small wattage.

Anyone know if India uses 12V auto voltage output?