Starting as a 2nd

Louis

Hello all,

I'm just starting out in the field of AC'ing, working super duper low budget shows and building experience, and I feel it's time to buy the beginnings of a kit. What are the absolute essentials to get, and what can I live without until I start getting better work?

I'm enticed to say a changing tent but I also feel like any 1st worth his/her salt with have a changing tent they can loan you for shoot days...so really, until you're getting steady work you should be able to get back with almost nothing other than a winning personality, the willingness to work real hard, and maybe a few sharpies and a good pen-knife (aka leatherman). :)

good luck and have fun (if it's not fun go be a lawyer, the money's much better)

At the very beginning I managed myself with less expensive tools;after I saved some money the first things I bought was an harrison changing tent and a porta brace.What you really need is great love for this job,you have to work hard and for me it was an important thing to work with really experienced 1ac and 2ac who taught me a lot and even counseled me about what to buy.

Good luck!!

The following is the essential contents of my ac pouch and belt that I wear on set:

-Large flathead screwdriver for baseplates

-multitool

-insert slate (comes in handy for much more than just slating)

-slate marker (dry erase)

-Sharpies, Fine tips, and ball point pens

-notepad

-chalk

-lenscloth

-flashlight

-can of air

-tape measure (fatmax are amazing)

On the camera cart nearby:

-Tape roll with assorted colored 1/2" paper tape for setting marks

-roll of 2" black or photoblack paper tape

-couple rolls of white gaff tape (or any visible color) for labeling cameras or filters etc.

-small clipboard for reports or notes

-calculator

-extra pens

There are lots of other supplies to get but as a 2AC, in my experience, these are the items I use everyday on set, and could not get by without.