Best mics to plug into DV camera?

I have a Canon GL2 DV camera. I am looking for a decent mic for a boom to plug into the camera. Any suggestions for a brand or make of mic that would be a good starting piece?

I know next to nothing about sound equipment, also if anyone knows a good sound editing program for the PC, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

The Sennheisser are very good, also, consider using XLR plugs, they are much more stable...if your camera lacks XLR plugs, get a tripod-munt adaptor (they go for around 130$$).

B&H has kits for the Sennheisser mics. i got mine there. they ship to all over the world.

www.bhphoto.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
The Sennheisser are very good, also, consider using XLR plugs, they are much more stable...if your camera lacks XLR plugs, get a tripod-munt adaptor (they go for around 130$$).

B&H has kits for the Sennheisser mics. i got mine there. they ship to all over the world.

www.bhphoto.com

The XLR adapter being mentioned can be found at beachtek

I would test the audio input capability of any digital camcorder before purchasing it. Most digital cameras' audio quality varies MUCH MORE than the picture quality. Video is an audio format first and foremost, so it makes sense to test the audio capabilities of any digital camcorder you are thinking of purchasing rather than fall in love with the picture quality.

It is imperative that you be able to turn off the automatic audio input feature on any digital camera that you purchase. The auto audio input on virtually every video camera will raise the background ambience levels to unnacceptable levels for most dialogue driven scenes. You MUST be able to turn this auto audio feature off or you will minimize the dynamic audio range a good quality microphone can deliver.

In other words, the best quality microphone will not sound good if you cannot first turn off the auto audio input feature found on all digital video cameras.

www.bhphoto.com

The XLR adapter being mentioned can be found at beachtek

I would test the audio input capability of any digital camcorder before purchasing it. Most digital cameras' audio quality varies MUCH MORE than the picture quality. Video is an audio format first and foremost, so it makes sense to test the audio capabilities of any digital camcorder you are thinking of purchasing rather than fall in love with the picture quality.

It is imperative that you be able to turn off the automatic audio input feature on any digital camera that you purchase. The auto audio input on virtually every video camera will raise the background ambience levels to unnacceptable levels for most dialogue driven scenes. You MUST be able to turn this auto audio feature off or you will minimize the dynamic audio range a good quality microphone can deliver.

In other words, the best quality microphone will not sound good if you cannot first turn off the auto audio input feature found on all digital video cameras.

Should I record sound separately from the camera, and then combine them in post?

• Premium Member

Hi,

> Should I record sound separately from the camera, and then combine them in

> post?

There is generally no reason to do this. It's a lot of extra hassle and opportunity for error. Assuming reasonable analogue inputs - these XLR adaptors may help but ultimately won't compensate for noisy camera input electronics - the technical recording standard of a miniDV tape in stereo 48/16 mode is identical to a DAT tape, and DAT is used all the time for recording feature film soundtracks.

Exceptions where you may wish to consider dual-system sound include most situations where you don't want to run cables to the camera, such as Steadicam. In these circumstances you may wish to use a radio link but they're generally not to be trusted, so you end up recording a DAT anyway.

Phil

• Premium Member

They say a lot of things in life end up being learned backwards. (life, lie, life, lie).

Think of any non HD camcorder as an audio recording device first and foremost and test it out to make sure it can handle good quality microphones AND wireless microphones. Take advantage of the "dat" quality capability.

The picture quality will follow.