Dead footage counter on Canon 1014 XL-S

Thomas Delfs

Despite the motor and film cart advancing normally, the footage counter on my Canon 1014 XL-S does't move at all. The footage indicator in the viewfinder moves ever so slightly but then goes back to zero (you hear a click inside the camera when this happens).

Does anyone know if this can be fixed easily or should I try and find somewhere (UK?) to get it repaired?

I will be grateful for any advice...

Thanks.

Edited by TDelfs

• Premium Member
Despite the motor and film cart advancing normally, the footage counter on my Canon 1014 XL-S does't move at all. The footage indicator in the viewfinder moves ever so slightly but then goes back to zero (you hear a click inside the camera when this happens).

Does anyone know if this can be fixed easily or should I try and find somewhere (UK?) to get it repaired?

I will be grateful for any advice...

Thanks.

I would not risk opening up the camera and perhaps do more damage. I would suggest a plan B. You can make a digital frame counter. However, it may take some research to find the one that works best with your camera. I had one I really liked on my Eumig but it didn't work as well on my Canon. The 24 FPS and the slo motion speeds sometimes won't count accurately, if you can overcome those two hurdles, you can find the digital frame counter an acceptable compromise.