Looking for advice on a particular super25 IIc package

Nick Mulder

Hi,

I checked out a 2c camera package quickly yesterday - was wondering if the kind folks here could give me their impressions of the following:

Arri 35 IIc - 4-perf Super35 gate and hardfront PL-mount (re-centred) - (however, viewfinder has not been extended or centred)

Cinematography Electronics 2C CRYSTAL MOTOR BASE (1-80 fps) -

Original motors, variable speed wild and goverened 24fps versions (both unused for some time)

3 x 400' mags (at least one is reversable)

4 x 200' mags

Video split (color) and monitor - no details on brand etc...

Arri 4x4 matte box with a bunch of filters + 3x3 matte box, no details on that yet...

9.8mm Kinoptic

14mm Canon f2.8

18mm Zeiss Super Speed f1.4

25mm Cooke f2

35mm Schneider f2

50mm Zeiss Sonar f1.5

50mm Cooke f2

75mm Cooke f2

85mm Zeiss Super Speed f1.4

400mm Leitz Telyt f5

Miller tripod - no details but its a fluid head and well large enough to hold this camera (+ Hi Hat)

Batteries, charger, shoulder brace, road cases, bits'n'bobs etc...

The Cinematography Electronics motor is mint - the rest of the package is showing the normal wear and wear for an older camera, of the lens elements I got a chance to inspect they were all optically perfect or at least 9 out of 10 - It started out in the New Zealand Natural History Film Unit and then was sold to the current owner for use on features (it spent sometime in an underwater housing) and 2nd unit shooting of Hercules and Xena. A bit noisier than I was expecting, especially the mags - but I've been shooting 16mm, so I dont know what to expect. But a MOS camera is ok for what I want to shoot...

>>>What should I be looking at/for ? What sort of price would this go for ?

>>>Are the Lenses any good ?

any help appreciated !

Nick

ps. excuse the double post - this is an offshoot of another thread that seemed to have died down - I need some advice soon though, so here it is again in its own thread...

always shoot a steadiness / registration test

Lock the camera down shoot a chart for 100 ft at 24 or 25 fps - rewind then shoot 20 ft at 24fps 20ft at 25fps, 20ft at 10fps , 20 ft at 50fps and 20ft at 80fps

Project the neg and check pin registration- Otto Nemenz etc will do this for you

Shoot a light leak test

Put the lens cap on and run the camera at 10fps - shine a 400W light at the camera, at the join where the magazine connects to the body, the eyepiece - basically all over the camera - shine the light into any crooks and crannies you can find

Run 10ft with each lens - shine the light at the PL mount (or whatever mount you have)

Check the speed with a strobe (Otto Nemenz again) http://www.cinematographyelectronics.com/index_gallery.html (check the strobe)

Check the shutter edges for damage - cause getting shutters is always an issue

So basically if the camera registration is steady, there are no light leaks, the camera runs at the right speed and the shutter is solid then the camera is ready to go

The rest of the stuff...

Check the front and rear glass elements to the lenses for scratches (usually the wider lenses get damaged first - cause the rear element is closer to the shutter and the larger front element is more exposed)

Otherwise try and see if there is a mains power supply - they come in handy

I have a similar package and it is fantatsic - built like a tank - I dropped a 2C camera (not mine) from a moving car and it was fine - can't say that about a F900 HD cam :)

that is all I can think of now

thanks

Rolfe