Camera filters

Scott Pendarvis

I'm wondering if there is yet another setting on the camera that I've missed.

I have experimented with the ND filters on the camera when shooting outdoors in bright sunlight. They do an excellent job of bringing out color and cleaning up the hotspots. Unfortunately, they also make the shadows so black I lose all detail. I have had better success using a tiffen polarizer. I think the camera takes incredible pictures. You just have to make sure it's not a high contrast shot.

Or,... maybe I've got something set wrong. There are a gazillion settings on this

camera.

• Premium Member

Hi,

> You just have to make sure it's not a high contrast shot.

Well, what are you used to? If you're generally a film person then it will seem very high contrast; that's video.

Polarising filters will generally tend to increase contrast, but often in areas of the image which need it.

Phil

Yes, a polarizer can increase the contrast and yet I get more detail from the polarizer than from using the NDS on the camera.

I am used to using a DSR500 which handles the high contrast much better.

I still prefer the SDX. I just wish it could handle the contrast as well as my

• Premium Member

Hi,

> I am used to using a DSR500 which handles the high contrast much better.

> I still prefer the SDX. I just wish it could handle the contrast as well as my

> 500.

This suggests that you are doing something wrong, because the SDX-900 should have at least comparable dynamic range with the DSR-500, and one would hope considerably better. Try some side by side shoots.

Phil

spot shooter is right on, make sure your gammas are set to the filmlook 1 or 2 setting, We use, with good results, the filmlook 2 setting, that gets you in the ball park, then it is a matter of looking at your monitor and tweaking those setting (and there are a gazillion of them) to what your eye likes best. Coming from a video background we are amazed at the detail now visible in the shadows, so I suppose there is a little perspective involved too ;)

There are 3 settings that can make a big impact of black levels, setup, gamma and master black. I agree, get a real engineer to help. Rent the RCP (remote control panel) if you don't have one. It makes things soooo much faster and easier. We got one with our SDX and it was worth the extra $1200 ($ I think). Also, Tiffen makes several contrast filters you might want to try.

Jason