Three Reasons to see Zodiac

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just saw zodiac and thought it looked very hd/video.

i thougt it is quiet a contrast to have this very authentic 70ies feel in colour,camera angles etc. and the hd look upon wich it is created on.

it gives the film a retro feel not in a `scratched celluloid` way but in a clinic digital analytical way.i wonder if this was wanted by fincher and the reason to choose hd over film or did he choose it merely for reasons of better workflow/postproduction?

I saw ZODIAC yesterday (in a 35mm anamorphic projection on a 50 ft. screen).

It didn't look better or worse than the usual Super-35 movie after it has been put through DI and mass printing. I noticed some obvious aliasing in a few shots with gridlike or parallel lines (striped tie in police station, aerial shot of a car on a bridge with vertical bannister).

It's a well made film, a bit long maybe, but with fine acting and some strong scenes (like the first interrogation of the murderer). Obviously it's a matter of personal taste, but I found that they overdid the green/yellow/orange color scheme a bit. Most 1970s films have more diversity in color, but all in all I found the style fitting for the story.

I could not see any reason to do this in digital, but I guess that's for the filmmaker to decide.

Not for those who expect a Fincher film to keep them on the edges of their seats...

(Note: Watch the poor greenscreen sequences of Mark Ruffalo driving, many lessons to be learned in that scene in regards to how NOT to shoot greenscreen)

Hey Jonathan, could you please explain why you thought it were bad greenscreen shots? Thanks!

Saw it yesterday and thought it had some great performaces and a good pace. Loved the look and detailed art direction, didn't like the lack of blacks. I especially didn't like the shot on Robert Downey Jr. when Gyllenhaal goes to visit him on the boat (washed out, hard light). The way the murders were treated overall felt sincere, but the way that policeman at the scene of the first murder walked around like there was nothing going on, while two teenagers lie there bleeding all over seemed very strange. [little spoiler following] I also would have liked to see the woman and her child actually escape from the Zodiac's car.

Best,

Alex

Edited by Alex Wuijts