RATCATCHER

How many people here have seen this movie? I saw it back in 7th grade and have kept a special place for it in my heart (tacky, I know) ever since. It is so beautifully shot and has such natural, existential poetry that I just feel totally alive when watching it. Every time I see it, I learn something new not just about the characters, but also about myself (it grows as I grow). I feel that this enduring quality is the mark of a truly great film and I feel RATCATCHER to be a near flawless masterpiece, even surpassing the best of Ken Loach (a filmmaker who explores similar themes).

It's funny how these things affect you for different reasons...how the nostalgia gained from rewatching something that touched you deeply in your youth can enhance your appreciation for a film. For those of you who have seen it...how did you feel about it? Let's DISCUSS the film. I felt it was great and, to me, it is a deeply personal experience each time around...however I realize that others may not share this opinion.

I agree that it is a wonderfully made, evocative, poetice film. All I can say is that if you saw it when you were in the 7th grade you must be very young! I admit that I am glad to see that it had an effect on you at that age.

I only saw it one time. What I was most impressed by was its maturity, the director was in her 20's when she did it.

I agree that it is a wonderfully made, evocative, poetice film. All I can say is that if you saw it when you were in the 7th grade you must be very young! I admit that I am glad to see that it had an effect on you at that age.

I only saw it one time. What I was most impressed by was its maturity, the director was in her 20's when she did it.

I'm 17. Lynn Ramsay, I believe, was in her early 30s, though I may be wrong...I know she had a daughter of about 9 or 10 years old at the point she made it, however, because she had used her daughter in her award winning short films...the ones that ultimately gave her the ability to gain funding for RATCATCHER. I was disappointed with Movern Collar, however I respected it because it was still something depely personal to her.

Edited by Robert Lachenay

The scene where the mother dances with her children to Jukebox boogie reminds me of stuff my family used to sometimes do when I was little. It's a warm feeling to watch that and recall those memories so tangibly, while still appreciating that these characters are feeling the exact same thing doing it.

I liked how the film was completely open-ended and character driven...how it had a story, but not one of great signifcance...how it celebrated the life of its men, women, and children. There's something sort of romantic about that kind of appreciation for the people someone creates in thier films and it really appealed to me at the time, as it does now. I also enjoyed how well the cinematography expressed unspoken, internalized emotions.

In regards to other very contemporary filmmakers--David Gordon Green, Mike Leigh, and Jim Jarmusch also love thier characters so deeply that it's a joy in itself to watch.

• Premium Member

I saw 'Ratcatcher' as the London Film Festival in 98 or 99. I did not understand a single word that the characters spoke! However I felt that I had just watched a really good film whose meaning had mostly excaped me because of the language. Only when years later the Criterion Edition came (which thankfully added subtitles) did I manage to appreciate more.

I also like Lynn Ramsey's short film, especially 'Gasman', which are on the same dvd.

For the record or whatever I'm a major fan of Morvern Caller and think it was even more daring.

-Sam

To each his own. Morvern Callar was very good. It was an adaptation...not that it takes anything away from the film or its daring...just giving a fyi. I really liked Morvern Callar, I just feel that her Ratcatcher, Small deaths Short Series and Gasman short were better. I can't wait to see what else she can put out. When she does come out with a new one, I really hope she takes things to the next level...sort of reinvents the way she makes her films because, though it's worked great so far, I could see it becoming redundant if her entire body of work consisted of an incredibly similar style and approach.

• 2 weeks later...
Has Lynn Ramsay produced anything recently??? I have seen both Ratcatcher and Morvern Callar, Ratcatcher is one of my favorite movies... I also saw it a long long time ago, I have to see it again...

I'm not sure...I've been wondering the same thing. DO watch it again though....for me it's one of those films that you learn new things about it and yourself, after returning to it years later.

I own the DVD and those shorts to which you refer are included. All very beautiful and meaningful works. Morvern Collar wasn't my favorite...I didn't really understand what it might be trying to say or do, but I look forward to seeing any future works. The on camera kight she rocks here and there is great; shares a lot of the same vitality that existed in the fashion/art-scene photography of the time.

jk :ph34r:

I own the DVD and those shorts to which you refer are included. All very beautiful and meaningful works. Morvern Collar wasn't my favorite...I didn't really understand what it might be trying to say or do, but I look forward to seeing any future works. The on camera kight she rocks here and there is great; shares a lot of the same vitality that existed in the fashion/art-scene photography of the time.

jk :ph34r:

I h ave that dvd too. Criterion Collection RULES!