xl2

chris odonnell

can anyone tell me why some stores are selling the cannon xl2 at about a $1000, others at$ 2300

Hmmm. To tell you the truth Chris, I would be leery of any store selling at either of those prices. Looking around at a few of the legitimate stores, The street prices seem to be either side of $3,000. If you are not sure if a seller is legitimate, check them out at Reseller Ratings.

http://www.resellerratings.com/

can anyone tell me why some stores are selling the cannon xl2 at about a $1000, others at$ 2300

I bought an XL2 a few years ago and I could not beleve the amount of out and out fraud there was going on around that camera.

When I bought mine there seemed to be 3 basic scams going on with low cost XL2s:

1) Total rips off, take your money and not ship a camera, theft plain and simple.

2) Stores that advertise a low price but when you call them, it turns out that the price does not include items that are supposed to be part of the standard package as defined by Canon such as the view finder, battery, mic, etc. They will also try to heap on up sell items, and won't actually ship the camera if you refuse the upsells.

3) Grey market goods being passed off as new.

With this camera I would either buy a used one from someone you know personally, or buy a new one only from a well known retailer.

You can get the body only for $2,914 on Amazon.com and then get one of the manual lenses and you've got a nice rig.

I bought an XL2 a few years ago and I could not beleve the amount of out and out fraud there was going on around that camera.

When I bought mine there seemed to be 3 basic scams going on with low cost XL2s:

1) Total rips off, take your money and not ship a camera, theft plain and simple.

2) Stores that advertise a low price but when you call them, it turns out that the price does not include items that are supposed to be part of the standard package as defined by Canon such as the view finder, battery, mic, etc. They will also try to heap on up sell items, and won't actually ship the camera if you refuse the upsells.

3) Grey market goods being passed off as new.

With this camera I would either buy a used one from someone you know personally, or buy a new one only from a well known retailer.

You can get the body only for $2,914 on Amazon.com and then get one of the manual lenses and you've got a nice rig.

thanks for the info

thanks for the info

• 7 months later...