Desaturating colors in post.

Vincent De Paula

Hello ,

I am filming a S16mm short called Red Hood.

We are getting the rushes from technicolor UK on digibeta.

The director would like to desaturate the colors completely leaving a B/W image but he wants lo leave the reds on. This is called Red Hood, and it?s the fairy tale story used as a canvas for this project. Since there won't be really a budget for a DI, I was hoping to get as close as possible to this idea in a TK grade, mastering hopefully to HD mainly because I was trying to avoid any tape to tape grade if possible although now I'm thinking this may be a job for a Flame, Smoke, Inferno, Combustion, Shake or similar. Perhaps grading normally and do all the color desaturations later on. We won't be scanning back film.

I would appreciate any other suggestions you may have.

Thanks

Vincent De Paula

Director of Photography (EU based)

+44 (0)7766 913932

+44 (0)1932 843806

vincent@vincentdepaula.com

www.vincentdepaula.com

Hello ,

I am filming a S16mm short called Red Hood.

We are getting the rushes from technicolor UK on digibeta.

The director would like to desaturate the colors completely leaving a B/W image but he wants lo leave the reds on. This is called Red Hood, and it?s the fairy tale story used as a canvas for this project. Since there won't be really a budget for a DI, I was hoping to get as close as possible to this idea in a TK grade, mastering hopefully to HD mainly because I was trying to avoid any tape to tape grade if possible although now I'm thinking this may be a job for a Flame, Smoke, Inferno, Combustion, Shake or similar. Perhaps grading normally and do all the color desaturations later on. We won't be scanning back film.

I would appreciate any other suggestions you may have.

Thanks

Vincent De Paula

Director of Photography (EU based)

+44 (0)7766 913932

+44 (0)1932 843806

vincent@vincentdepaula.com

www.vincentdepaula.com

Read about R. Rodriguez and Sin City. It's somewhere out on the net, they did exactly that, for Yellow and Red.

Mokey/Monet http://www.mokey.com/products/monet/

But they Shot Sin City against a green screen/chroma.

Edited by Dennis Kisilyov

• Site Sponsor
The director would like to desaturate the colors completely leaving a B/W image but he wants lo leave the reds on. This is called Red Hood, and it?s the fairy tale story used as a canvas for this project. Since there won't be really a budget for a DI, I was hoping to get as close as possible to this idea in a TK grade,

A good colorist with a DaVinci 2K+ or Pogle platinum should be able to isolate the color you want and desaturate the rest without having to resort to tracking. Even if they do you can draw a shape in the CC and do an inside-outside correction he may need to setup a garbage matte or similar but the newer Colorist tools will certainly allow for this and are quite commonly used for commercial (spots) finishing.

-Rob-