PLUS-X vs TRI-X

Hi.

I intend to begin a few experiments with black and white motion picture films.

I would to hear a little bit from you about your experiences with Tri-X and Double-X. What are the differences between these two stocks and why are they rated different ISOs.

What about the new reversal versions of these two? Have you ever tried?

Any comments and suggestions are very welcome.

THANKS!

• Premium Member
What about the new reversal versions of these two? Have you ever tried?

Any comments and suggestions are very welcome.

THANKS!

The two available negative films are Plus x and Double X asa 80 and 250 if I recall. The spped difference is the reason that they still make two, Their was even a 4X way back when.

The reversal stocks are Plus x and tri-x. Agin the differnce is the spped/grain tradeoff. The newer version are made to handle a differnce in the process and I have never seen any comments about the "look" being much different.

You might also be curious to know that Fuji does in fact make 16mm b/w cine film (RP 72161), although it's not available everywhere in the world. I've only been able to obtain it in 100' spools, which is less than convenient. It's also supposedly available in 35mm as RP 71112, although I've never actually been able to obtain it. In any case, it's an 80D/64T speed stock, which makes it a competitor to Plus X. Any faster and you'll have to go with Kodak.